JoeLewko
Green Thumb

Japanese Cut-Paste wound putty

Note: All mentions of lime-sulphur that follow are for jinning purposes (I understand it can also be used as a fungicide)

Since it is illegal to ship lime-sulphur in NY, :evil: I had to ask the man who gave me my Red Pine (pictured herehttp://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5999) for some. In addition to giving me the lime-Sulphur, he also gave me this wound sealant that after a few minutes of researching, I found to be called Japanese Cut-Paste wound putty. I have a few questions regarding these things.

1) Does lime-sulphur go bad? (and by bad I mean not efective) I wouldn't imagine so. I have this branch from a bradford pear tree that fell during a storm last winter. I took the bark off, and I applied the lime-sulphur. I guess my question will be answered tomorrow, but I'll post the results anyway.

2) How long does this putty need to stay on a wound? This is the product https://www.greendragonbonsai.co.uk/cutpaste290.JPG (although the color of mine is a little darker).

3) How much lime-sulphur needs to be applied to a jinned branch? A few coats? just one? a lot? just enough to coat the branch? (sorry for the barrage of question marks :lol: )

As you can tell jinning branches is something I'm new to, so any help is much appreciated.

Joe

ynot
Greener Thumb

1) Does lime-sulphur go bad? (and by bad I mean not efective) Not as far as I know.

2) How long does this putty need to stay on a wound? Until the wound calluses over. That type is good stuff btw.

3) How much lime-sulphur needs to be applied to a jinned branch? A few coats? just one? a lot? just enough to coat the branch? It depends entirely on what [degree of bleached out color] you are aiming for, Repeated applications may be required.
One Caution: When doing it on a live specimen be careful not to drip any into the soil.

Good luck

ynot

JoeLewko
Green Thumb

Thnks for the comments ynot, and good to have you back. the branch I lime-sulphured yesterday doesn't really show signs of bleaching, but I have no idea how long it takes to dry... :lol: I'll wait until later when it's been 24 hours and then takes pics.

Joe

JoeLewko
Green Thumb

As promised, here's the branch 24 hours after the application of lime-sulphur.

[img]https://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m204/joelewko/unknowntreedeadwood001.jpg[/img]

The top part of the "fork" was lime-sulphured (the part on the right). The bottom was just stripped of bark.

Just a question, how long does lime-sulphur take to dry? It seems like I did something wrong because the branch isn't bleached yet.

Joe

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Joe,

Sorry I'm only a few years into evergreens so I have not done many Jins. I do have one Juniper that needs some Lime Sulfur but I have yet to purchase any. I look forward to seeing how your experiment goes. Please update this after you see what happens.

As far as the cut paste goes, I leave it on until the callous is well formed and the paste begins to loosen itself. Once the perimeter of the callous is complete I have been removing it. The wound is not usually completely healed but is well underway.

Norm

JoeLewko
Green Thumb

I think I figured out the problem. I read in an article on bonsai4me (I think) that the wetter the branch, the better the lime-sulphur is absorbed. So yesterday, I started soaking the bottom part of the branch, and either tonight, or tomorrow I will lime-sulphur that, as well as leave the section I already did. I'll post pics of both section's progress.

Joe

JoeLewko
Green Thumb

I soaked the bottom part of the branch form Saturday-Monday, and it seemed to turn out a little better than the top part. I think I will apply another coat to the dry top section and see what happens.

The bottom part right after lime-sulphuring

[img]https://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m204/joelewko/mugopinedeadwood8-27-07001.jpg[/img]

The top part on monday (jinned on friday).
[img]https://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m204/joelewko/mugopinedeadwood8-27-07002.jpg[/img]

It might look upside down, but I had the branch resting on a step with the bottom facing up so the lime-sulphur could dry.

I also realized that I won't be able to stick the branches on a pine into a bucket of water, so I tried a method for the little fork piece of this branch. I am mistsing it a few times a day, and keeping plastic wrapped over the branch. I will do this for probably about a week, and then see if how the results compare to the part of the branch that was soaked in a bucket.

If anyone has any methods of how to soak a branch over the course of a few days, I'd love to hear them.

Stand by for more results,

Joe

ynot
Greener Thumb

JoeLewko wrote:
I also realized that I won't be able to stick the branches on a pine into a bucket of water,

If anyone has any methods of how to soak a branch over the course of a few days, I'd love to hear them.

Joe
Did I miss something? Why would you do this?

ynot

JoeLewko
Green Thumb

No No,

you didn't miss anything. I would need to soak the branches because they have been dead for a few years and are probably quite dry. I was just saying I couldn't do the same thing to them as I did the branch (I.e. stick it in a bucket of water).

Joe

ynot
Greener Thumb

JoeLewko wrote:No No,

you didn't miss anything. I would need to soak the branches because they have been dead for a few years and are probably quite dry. I was just saying I couldn't do the same thing to them as I did the branch (I.e. stick it in a bucket of water).

Joe
There is what I missed [or forgot :oops:]... Sorry, Been busy! [I am about to be gone for another two weeks.. :shrug:

ynot

JoeLewko
Green Thumb

No problem, I don't think I mentioned it.

tarian

one tip
don't add the lime sulpher strait onto the jin leave it a day some tree's health can be damaged

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”