BrownieGal
Newly Registered

Moving my Chinese Elm Outdoors

Hello everyone! I just received a 5 year old Chinese Elm bonsai tree from my husband as an anniversary gift, and I'm very excited about taking care of this little tree!

Now when this tree was bought it was billed as an indoor tree, however, upon researching and talking to our local bonsai nursery, I have realized they fare better outside. Now I have no problem moving the tree outside, but I am wondering when is the best time to do so. Since the tree has been inside so far, it has sprouted a large number of leaves. I am wondering if I should (a) move the tree outside immediately, taking care to cover the roots with leaves or mulch (b) move it to a garage or shed so that it can acclimate before moving it outside, or (c) keep it inside another month until it is warm and then move it outside for good.

I mainly am worried about shocking it with so much going on. It was in a box being shipped and then moved to the toasty indoor window - I don't know how much change it can take! In addition, our weather has been a bit crazy lately - going from a week of 'shorts weather' to a hard freeze last night. Gotta love this North Texas weather!

Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks in advance!!

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Chinese elm is a sort of in-between tree. Temperate trees (evergreens like juniper and deciduous like maple, oak) have to be outdoors all the time. Tropical evergreens like ficus make good indoor trees. Chinese elm is a subtropical. Some people do keep them indoors. Since yours is used to being indoors and is putting out new leaves, I would definitely not put it out now. After the weather warms up, you can gradually transition it to outdoors.

hinese Elm trees are very flexible about their environment. If adapted
properly, they can be grown indoors year-round. If hardened off to
the cold gradually, they can drop their leaves in the fall and be
considered deciduous trees, so you have a few options. However, it is
important to find out how your Elm has been growing recently. Some
Elms come from southern China, and have never experienced cold
conditions. It would be dangerous to keep these Elms too cold the
first year or two. Other Elms have gone to freezing and dropped their
leaves for many years; as a result, these Elms may not be too happy
indoors for the first year or two. If you can not determine where your
Elm has been, then keep it outside for the summer and bring it inside
for the winter. You can bring it in when the temperatures are around
50°F. If kept indoors for the winter, a cooler location is preferable
(50°F–65°F). Chinese Elms may drop some leaves in the winter due
to the natural decrease in light. This is normal.
https://www.nebonsai.com/Chinese_elm.pdf

tomc
Super Green Thumb

May is coming. As it arrives it will be time to move your elm outdoors.

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”