sandman
Cool Member

whats a good organic fertilizer

been using a chemical fert and I don't really like it to much. think my trees would be much happier with a natural source of food? any input would be greatly appreciated. thanks
jacob

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Jacob,

I am somewhat in the same boat as you. In the past I have relied upon chemical fertilizers, and still do. They are inexpensive, effective and readily available.

A few years ago I made a big batch of fertilizer cakes, the primary components of which were Plantone (Epsoma brand), blood meal, bone meal, wood ashes and fish emulsion. I was very pleased with myself and placed the cakes on all my plants. Then I noticed that the cakes attracted fungus gnats and I began pulverizing the cakes and ended up with a granular organic fertilizer.

Again I was happy but noticed that newly potted trees stabilized in the pots very quickly which on its face might seem an advantage. After some thought though I began to wonder if this is actually a disadvantage. As the particles decomposed and slowly filtered into the soil drainage seems to have slowed somewhat. I still have some trees that I have yet to to re-pot and in all honesty they seem fine but the soil is no longer as free draining that it was at first.

A well known poster on another forum has been using an organic product that looks to have promise. He describes it as
"It is made by Schultz called natural organic all purpose plant food. It's NPK is 5-3-3 and it is very mild. It is derived from composted poultry manure."
It appears to have more texture than the product I chose and therefore not as likely to impede drainage as much. He purchases it at his local Lowe's, I have looked but my local store does not carry it. I may ask them to order some for me for next year. I hope this has helped a bit.

Norm

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”