JoeLewko
Green Thumb

Super-Thrive?

I found this product called Super-Thrive on a Bonsai retail site, and the retailer claimed that he has been using it for 30 years, and sells so much of it he gets a new shipment almost every week. He also said this will reduce the stress on a rootpruned tree, and help it recover (as well as revive a dying bonsai, and help with growth etc.) Has anyone had any experience with this product? If so, does it work as well as the retailer claims?

This is the wikipedia article on the product:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SUPERthrive

It seems there is some controversy about it...

Joe

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Joe,
It seems there is some controversy about it...
Now that's an understatement. On other forums I visit, some swear by it, others feel that it is pure snake oil. I have no personal experience with this product but my gut feeling is that there is nothing that will replace good cultural practices. Anybody else?

Norm

maveriiick

Any new review or updates on this product? Internet searches seem to come up with equivocal findings. Other suggestions for bonsai growth? Spray-n-grow?

Marsman
Green Thumb

I use the stuff and have had no ill effects. My trees 'thrive' on it. :roll:

EDIT: I just read an article the was linked at the bottom of the Wiki article referred to above - [url=https://knowledgeofbonsai.org/articles/misc/debunking-the-myths-of-bonsai/]Debunking the Myths of Bonsai[/url]
Based on every single professional horticulturist statements on the subject that I could find, as well as studies from major universities, there is no other logical conclusion other than that using B-1 is ineffective, a waste of time and resources, and produces no results. All claims to the validity of using B-1 or thiamine are false.

The truth is that B-1 has never been shown to be advantageous in reducing transplant shock or stimulating root development and other advantages such as disease resistance are still being studied.
Well, I guess I can dump out my bottle of SuperTHRIVE. Same goes for the cut paste.
The fact is that applying any sort of dressing to a wound on a tree can be detrimental at best and damaging at the worst. Trees need to be left to their own innate devices when damaged, there is no valid reason for rushing in like Florence Nightingale with a first aid kit full of cut paste, band-aids, and other medications, all that will be done is to prolong the process of recovery. It may well make us feel better to think we are helping the tree, but in fact, all we are doing is adding to the chances of further damage.
It's a very interesting article. I recommend we all read it.

Rosaelyn

I have seen no fabulous results with Super Thrive in my usage of it, but as for cut paste, I do agree with its use in some cases.

Bougainvilleas, for example, are "very susceptible to rot and all cuts should be sealed with cut paste." Per Bonsai4me.

I don't use it often, just for large cuts (trunk chops for one) and for my Bougainvillea. And I only really use it because it has a anti-fungal.

Marsman
Green Thumb

A comment from a friend:
Please note that all Will's information is not referring to trees in pot culture! This is where the difference lies.

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”