LDM-Bonsai
Newly Registered

The use of Neem Oil

Hi there
I've found your forum really very helpful and log on regularly to see what everyone is saying. As I'm fairly new to bonsais myself I am working my way through the problems you can encounter. I currently have spider mites on a Chinese Elm so have sprayed with soapy water and isolated it in a greenhouse outside. Will keep my fingers crossed and check on it daily.

Two queries if I may:
I have bought some Neem Oil as I see from your forum that it's good, especially for Elms I imagine as systemic pesticides are not recommended. Can you advise on the right ratio of oil to water for spraying and how often I should spray? I have 2 Chinese Elms, 1 Chinese Pepper, 2 Japanese Red Maples (both young, one between 6-12 months and the other 18-24 months - not sure on exact ages as they were freebies from a bonsai supplier), 1 Olive and 1 Chinese Yew.

With regards to the latter, alas the Chinese Yew is possible on its way out. It dried out whilst I was away (I forgot I had left it in my bedroom, unforgiveable :( )and sadly has not recovered in any way for the last 2 weeks. I've watered it and placed it in a polythene bag & sealed it (something I picked up in a book). The book also advised not to feed until new shoots grow and this could take weeks or months. Any thoughts on this? I check it daily.

Really grateful for your thoughts. Thanks

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

LDM,
Can you advise on the right ratio of oil to water for spraying and how often I should spray?
I have never used this product so I can't help you. Does the bottle not have directions printed on it? If I remember correctly, Spider Mites dislike humidity so the physical act of spraying may help on it own.

There is a thread about [url=https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=925]Neem Oil[/url] on another forum of the site. I read through it though but could not locate specific directions for use.

That thread links to [url=https://www.care2.com/greenliving/homemade-insecticidal-soap.html]this article[/url] that has a recipe for a natural insecticide.

[url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neem_oil]Here[/url] is the Wikipedia article that does give a ratio.

By the way welcome to the site.

Norm

LDM-Bonsai
Newly Registered

Thanks Norm

I'll check out those links.

With regards to the Chinese Yew, any thoughts there? I might have to accept defeat if there's no change after 2 months but I'll do whatever I can to help it.

Thanks again for your help and for such a speedy response :D

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

LDM,
With regards to the Chinese Yew, any thoughts there? I might have to accept defeat if there's no change after 2 months but I'll do whatever I can to help it.
No, nothing more than what you are now doing. The usual suggestion is to make a small scratch in the bark and check for green tissue. Don't give up too soon, you have nothing to lose by waiting a while and you might be surprised. Good luck.

Norm

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”