nat_scott22
Newly Registered

Bonsai carmona care help

I have been bought a bonsai carmona tree as a Christmas present and it's my first time of owning a bonsai tree! The care instructions I received with the tree say daily watering from the roots is essential and to submerge the soil once a week to avoid drying out. It also says to spray the leaves once a day. So I have been doing this, however I've noticed brown spits under the leaves and a slight yellowing of some leaves, and assume this is due to overwatering. Please can you advise how often I should water my bonsai carmona tree during the winter months. I've also noticed a little mould on the soil, is this normal? Also do I water the tree at the soil, or from underneath at the roots? Thank you!

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Sounds like over-watering to me, also. Here is some general information about bonsai care, including a section on watering: https://www.helpfulgardener.com/bonsai/

The usual tip for bonsai watering is to get yourself a wooden chopstick. Insert it an inch or so into the soil and leave it for a few minutes. Then check. If the chopstick is darkened and damp, then the soil is damp and doesn't need water. If the chopstick is dry, so is the soil and you should water.

No mold on the soil is not normal and is another sign that you are over-watering and not letting it dry out enough in between.

Water from the top until water runs out the drain hole at the bottom. Once a week or two you can do the submersion thing to be sure the soil is moistened. Daily misting (not "spraying") of the leaves is good when it is indoors in the winter. Winter indoor environments are very dry.

Keep us updated how your carmona does! Best Wishes! :)

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”