merlinluver
Newly Registered

Ficus root care/ types of soil.

So I just got a Ficus "Bonsai" as a gift. The person who gave it to me got it from Home Depot. Basically the tree was mineraturized by cutting the trunk very close to the root, allowing several small branches/trunks to grow around the top of the roots and the large roots were cut to be flat on the bottom. Then the poor plant was stuffed into a pot that was too small for it, (the sides of the pot were digging into the the roots). So I planted the ficus into a larger pot. Now I am wondering whether or not the roots will be able to grow to a larger size, or not.

also, I am not too sure about the soil mix that bonsai are suppose to have. If anyone could help me it would be greatly appreatiated.

Thanks.

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

merlinluver,

Welcome to the Helpful Gardener.
So I planted the ficus into a larger pot. Now I am wondering whether or not the roots will be able to grow to a larger size, or not.
A larger pot should not cause any concern. The only problem might be if you chose a pot that is greatly over-sized. A situation like that promotes a situation where a large mass of soil stays too wet.
I am not too sure about the soil mix that bonsai are suppose to have.
There is no one mix that will suit all trees in all situations. Generally all bonsai are better off potted in a mix that would appear very coarse compared to a conventional potting soil. Check out the sticky threads at the top of the bonsai forum. There is one about general growing tips and one concerning bonsai soils.

You have given no information about the soil that you used to re-pot. At any rate, with the recent re-potting, I feel that I would not be too anxious to re-pot again now. Ficus can be managed in conventional potting soil as long as you are judicious in your watering practices.

Norm

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”