38dlj65
Newly Registered

Juniper Dormancy

I live in Wagoner, OK about 40 miles east of Tulsa. I'm trying to put my two juniper bonsai in dormancy for the first time, but the weather isn't cooperating. I keep my plants outdoors unless it gets below 32 degrees F, then I put them in a cool place in my garage. I've kept them out of direct sunlight and in temperatures between 32 degrees F and 50 degrees F for 8 to 10 days, but now it's warming back up above 50 and up into the 60's the next few days into next week. It is pretty much impossible to have 3 months of below 50 degrees F where I live. What should I do? If I keep them out of direct sunlight and wind even though the temperature gets above 50 at times will they stay in dormancy? I have fixed a card board box with some insulation and a clear plastic lid to protect them if the temperature is going to be below 32 degrees. I've put a couple of freezer packs in the box with the plants and have brought the temperature to about 45 degrees and will be doing that as needed; however, I will be out of town for 3 or 4 days over thanksgiving and it will get into the 60's. Any suggestions?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

people grow junipers in Florida, so it must be ok. I wouldn't worry so much about protecting it. They are hardy down to about MINUS 30 degrees. Just let it experience the vagaries of nature. You would only need to protect it from excess water if you get a bunch of rain, or snow and ice weighting it down and breaking branches. The roots and the little pot need more protection than the branches/needles do, so some people just bury the pot in mulch.

The chilling degree days don't need to be consecutive.

Demosouthpaw
Cool Member

38dlj65 wrote:I live in Wagoner, OK about 40 miles east of Tulsa. I'm trying to put my two juniper bonsai in dormancy for the first time, but the weather isn't cooperating. I keep my plants outdoors unless it gets below 32 degrees F, then I put them in a cool place in my garage. I've kept them out of direct sunlight and in temperatures between 32 degrees F and 50 degrees F for 8 to 10 days, but now it's warming back up above 50 and up into the 60's the next few days into next week. It is pretty much impossible to have 3 months of below 50 degrees F where I live. What should I do? If I keep them out of direct sunlight and wind even though the temperature gets above 50 at times will they stay in dormancy? I have fixed a card board box with some insulation and a clear plastic lid to protect them if the temperature is going to be below 32 degrees. I've put a couple of freezer packs in the box with the plants and have brought the temperature to about 45 degrees and will be doing that as needed; however, I will be out of town for 3 or 4 days over thanksgiving and it will get into the 60's. Any suggestions?
There are two types of dormancy triggers, one is temperature the other is photo period. As the days get shorter this triggers dormancy in the plant. I grow Junipers here in Florida year around with no problems. And I'm out of central Florida so our "cold" doesnt get much colder than 30degree for 2 hours maxxx!

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”