adamandhanna
Newly Registered

Should I be worried about mildew on my leaves?

Hello all,

Quick question regarding the pictures below - should the substance on the leaves of our bonsai be cause for concern?

We water the bonsai when the soil is particularly dry, which is about twice a week. We water it from the top.

Neither of us are sure as to which type of bonsai it is, but we've been careful to follow basic guidelines of keeping it indoors during the Autumn months, giving it plenty of light and not keeping it above a radiator. We've also given it a few pellets from a bonsai man at the market, which it seemed to like.

We think the substance on the leaves is mildew. Whatever it is, it's appeared around the base of the trunk and on the soil too - hopefully the pictures show that.

I've looked on other threads and the common remedy theme seems to be 'don't over water it'. We're mindful about watering, but admittedly haven't been using the chop stick method.

Since discovering the substance, we haven't watered it.

Any advice is thoroughly appreciated!! Thank you!
Where it usually lives
Where it usually lives
Where it usually lives
View from the top
View from the top
I first thought the leaves were dusty...turns out the 'dust' is even on leaves sheltered beneath other foliage..
Present on soil too
Present on soil too
Whatever it is is starting to appear at the base of the trunk
What it usually looks like

tomc
Super Green Thumb

How are you checking when (or if) your tree needs water?

I think you need to read the learning forum here on basic care for bonsai, and start using a chop stick as it directs.

applestar
Mod

I can't tell if this is a fungal growth or fertilizer salt bloom....

adamandhanna
Newly Registered

Thanks for the replies :)

tomc - For watering we've been checking it by pressing on the surface of the soil. Having read the post 'General Bonsai Growing Tips - Read first' we'll start adopting the chopstick method. Seems odd that not adopting this would be enough to cause the beginnings of mildew/greyish fuzz on the leaves.

applestar - We haven't used any fertiliser salts. It may be tricky to tell in the picture, so I'll put another one up that hopefully shows it better.
Soil at base of trunk
Soil at base of trunk
20141104_144956.jpg

tomc
Super Green Thumb

Well, its a toss up if that is salt build up or something else (like mold-mildew). Once water needs are met (but not oversupplied), it is my hope things should clear up, OR, become obvious.

Soil can compact also, poking the soil to check for moisture will tend to airate it. A win-win no mater what the diagnosis.

adamandhanna
Newly Registered

Alrighty :)

Thanks for all your help - it's great to have such assurance from those who know much more about bonsais. We'll get poking the soil and let you know how it goes!.

Adam and Hanna

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”