DragonsBlood
Newly Registered

seedlings and light

Ok so should I keep a light on the plant even before it sprouts and how many days does it take to sprout. thank you for any help.

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

DragonsBlood,
Ok so should I keep a light on the plant even before it sprouts
Most seeds do not require light until they sprout. As soon as you see any action it is important to provide appropriate lighting.
how many days does it take to sprout.
You have not mentioned what species you are growing. Are these the supermarket fig seeds? Anyway, sometimes within a week, sometimes never. Some batches of seed seem to be bad or have been handled incorrectly and won't sprout whatever you do.

Norm

seanabc

I've had some Japanese Maple seeds in my fridge now for six weeks. I think it's time to start germinating them. I'm planning to put them in the hot press tomorrow. I'm not expecting to see any action for a couple of weeks. I'm not really sure what happens after that. I don't have a garden at the moment and the lighting in my flat isn't good, even when the weather outside is. Would I need to get special lighting equipment for the seedlings?

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

seanabc,

I'm afraid that you are in for some trouble with the Maples. Maples are a poor choice for indoor culture. They require a period of dormancy each year to remain healthy which is very difficult for an indoor grower to provide.

Putting that aside, Japanese Maples are best sown in the spring never having let the seeds dry out. I collect mine in the fall and maintain them moist until the following spring. Seeds that have been thoroughly dried, as I presume yours have been, are exceedingly reluctant to germinate.

Better choices for indoor culture would be Ficus, Fukien Tea, Serissa or any of a number of other tropical species. Look [url=https://bonsaihunk.8m.com/cultural.html]here[/url] for some ideas regarding indoor bonsai.

Norm

seanabc

Gnome wrote:seanabc,

I'm afraid that you are in for some trouble with the Maples. Maples are a poor choice for indoor culture. They require a period of dormancy each year to remain healthy which is very difficult for an indoor grower to provide.

Putting that aside, Japanese Maples are best sown in the spring never having let the seeds dry out. I collect mine in the fall and maintain them moist until the following spring. Seeds that have been thoroughly dried, as I presume yours have been, are exceedingly reluctant to germinate.

Better choices for indoor culture would be Ficus, Fukien Tea, Serissa or any of a number of other tropical species. Look [url=https://bonsaihunk.8m.com/cultural.html]here[/url] for some ideas regarding indoor bonsai.

Norm
Thanks for the advice Norm.
I bought the Japanese Maple seeds on a spur of the moment when I wandered into the Bonsai Shop. I didn't realise that they were outdoor until after I bought them. In fact the box said they were indoor! However I plan to be moving shortly and a garden is high on my list of priorities for where-ever I move to.

It's probably a bad time of the year to be starting all this but unfortunately I did my reading after I started instead of before! I also have Persian Silk Tree and Tasmanian Eucalyptus seeds as well which I think are a better choice for indoor.

Anyway I'm hoping that the seeds will make it through the winter until I have a garden to put them out in in the spring!

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

seanabc,
unfortunately I did my reading after I started instead of before!
Many of us, including myself, have been guilty of this in the past. Consider it an inexpensive lesson, better to fail with some seeds than a mature tree.
Thanks for the advice Norm.
You're welcome and good luck.

Norm

seanabc

Gnome wrote: You're welcome and good luck.

Norm
Thanks, Norm.
I'll let you know if I get any shoots!

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”