tommywing

Help to ID Ficus species, questions.

Hi all,

As some of you might be aware my Serissa is pretty much dead, had I done 5 mins research before buying it I would have discovered that they are very hard to look after!

I would like to buy a Ficus as I have read they are more tolerant than serissas and I really like the ariel roots.

Does anyone know a good online retailer that stocks this specific species, they had nothing in homebase.

Budget is ...£20

Or if you have a semi mature tree you are willing to sell and you live in the UK let me know!

Regards

Tom

tommywing

Mod's prehaps change the title as I now have a Ficus, and wish to post some questions about it.

Here it is:

[URL=https://imageshack.us][img]https://img468.imageshack.us/img468/5173/img1995kq6.jpg[/img]

1) Anyone know what type of ficus?
2) I repotted it, watered it, fed it and put a bit of rooting hormone in the soil, figured that couldn't hurt?
3) Position, it is on a windowsill which gets sun from 0700 - 1100

If you have any advice for me as always it would be warmly appreciated.

Tommywing

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Tommywing,
Anyone know what type of ficus?
From the exposed, bulbous roots I'm guessing it is F. microcarpa/retusa, also called Ginseng Ficus.
Position, it is on a windowsill which gets sun from 0700 - 1100
It could do with more hours of sun. If you can put it outside for the rest of the summer it would be better. If that is the best you can do it will probably be OK. Ficus tolerate low light levels but will do better with more intense lighting.

Norm

ynot
Greener Thumb

Tommywing,
tommywing wrote:Anyone know what type of ficus?

Gnome wrote:From the exposed, bulbous roots I'm guessing it is F. microcarpa/retusa, also called Ginseng Ficus.
I agree, Here are a few threads onsite for you to check out wrt this version of ficus:

https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/search.php?mode=results

ynot

tommywing

Thanks to you both,

I will keep it in the sun when it is hot, weather hear fluctuates so much I wouldn't want to leave it outside overnight!

Tommywing

tommywing

Hi Again,

Summer here in the UK seems to have been cancelled. It is August and we have the heating on.

As a result I'm worried about this Ficus. I was considering constructing some sort of plastic mini greenhouse for it to live in until we get some sun again.

Perhaps a grow light such as the ones used in suspicious hydroponics as well?

Or will it be fine?

Anyone grow Ficus in the UK?

Tom

JoeLewko
Green Thumb

Hello Tom,

Ficus can be left outside unless the nightime temps go below about 50 degress Farenheight (10 degrees Celsius I believe). How are the average nightime temps?

Also, about two months ago, I moved my ficus from a spot where it got full sun from about 9-3 to a spot where it gets morning sun until about 10 AM, and then filtered sun for the rest of the day, and it seems to be loving it. (it could also be the humid weather we've been having in NY :) , I'll have to see how it does when it's less humid).

You can use a grow light when keeping the ficus indoors. Sadly, though, I don't know much about them.

It should be fine as long as the night temps are high enough, if not, it needs to be inside.

Oh by the way I'm in agreement with Norm about it being a Ficus Retusa.

Good Luck,

Joe

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”