Kuroo_Fujisaki
Newly Registered

Beginner Bonsai Help

I really want to get into bonsai growing. However, I have no idea how to choose the right tree for my climate and beginner level. I'm planning on reading a lot. Ore into before I buy a tree, but what style is easiest for beginners? I'm willing to put in a lot of work, but nevertheless I'm still new to this. How would I go about choosing a tree for my tropical climate- I live on an island off the coast of Florida, USA. Would it be possible to grow a Japanese Cherry Blossom bonsai here? (Sakura tree). Thank you! Sorry for the weird question, or if this has been posted so ethereal else.

tomc
Super Green Thumb

Rummage around (as in talk to and schmooze with) your local nursery, see what they have. Also ask about how cold it gets.

Yes prunus can be trained as bonsai. I'm thinking your asking about prunus mume.

Its a little late to start to transplant trees now in the deep south, so you have time to forrage.

Be welcome here.

tomc
Super Green Thumb

Based on a search your asking about serrulata rather than mume.

Prunus serrulata is on offer from on line nurseries. I would not try to ship a live tree in June, July, August, or the front half of September. So you have some time to read & ask questions.

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”