tommywing

Tommywing's English Oak Seedling

Hi all,

Whilst out in the garden I spied an Oak seedling, and as we have no room for an oak tree I thought I'd bonsai it!

I uprooted it carefully and cut about 1.5 inches off the bottom of the root. It had a long thick root with two separate clumps of thin roots coming off it. It now has one.

I planted it in a mixture of fast draining garden soil and ready mixed bonsai substrate and gave it some fertiliser.

Does anyone have any experience with these as bonsai trees, or have they grown one from a seedling?

https://img125.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img1948ck6.jpg

Tommywing

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Tommywing,

No, my only experience with Oaks is with Live Oak, even that is still in the early stages. This is a young tree that will take some years before you have anything to work with. You might have put it back into the ground in a growing bed.

I see that you have it in a bonsai pot, that is counterproductive for the development of a young tree. Your soil is not what I would have used either. Check out the sticky thread on soils if you have not already done so.

Norm

tarian

I just started work with mine
it was a tree in the garden until my dog decided to join the hobby of bonsai(he gave it a good prune :lol: :lol: )
after a year with no buds my dad dug it up and gave it to me (sometimes they can last a year or less with no leaves)
a month ago its buds exploded and I decieded to take it to the local bonsai club they recomended TOMATO FEED to increse the production of bud , help harden new shoot and thicken up the trunk

look out for mildew :!: :!: :!: keep soil moist and a reugular spraying helps

thats all info I can give
good luck

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”