Demosouthpaw
Cool Member

Napa #8822 fail

While researching for an alternative to turface I came across Napa #8822 (floor dry). Now I'm not sure why so many enthusiasts swear by this junk. I would love to say I bought a bad batch, but I bought three bags one from one Napa near my house and the other two from another store a couple miles away. This stuff breaks extremely easy, turns to dust, and also breaks down a couple weeks after being watered. My mix is as follows 1part Napa 8822, and 2 parts decomposed granite.

I know I'm not crazy, why are people swearing by this stuff when it clearly breaks down and turns to mush?

Has anyone had similar experiences with Napa 8822?

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Demosouthpaw,

I have been one of the folks here who have recommended this product. I am currently using it and have not experienced any issues with it breaking down or turning to mush. Granted, it may not be as hard as D.G. but this has not been an issue for me. I do make a point of screening it, as I do all of my components. This product is Diatomaceous Earth, not a low fired clay material that some absorbents seem to be. Not really sure what would be the source of the discrepancy. Anyone else have first hand experience with this material?

Norm

Demosouthpaw
Cool Member

I also sifted it. Its to the point now were if I pick up a piece between my fingers and rub gently it turns to either mush or fine powder depending on if its dry or wet.

I live in Central Florida so freezing isnt an issue. And since Ive been using it on my test seedlings I have not fertilized them so PH would not be cause for break down. I'm scratching my head trying to figure this out. From what I have read people swear by this stuff.

Demosouthpaw
Cool Member

I attached some pictures as well as a video so you could see what I am talking about. In the video it has only been 24-hours since sifting and washing. Towards the bottom of the pot were there is more pressure the Oil Dri fails to retain its shape and breaks down into smaller particles.

WP_20140530_006.jpg
WP_20140530_006.jpg (15.41 KiB) Viewed 3100 times
WP_20140530_007.jpg
WP_20140530_007.jpg (26.69 KiB) Viewed 3100 times
video link here ==============> https://youtu.be/BSweI3fqG3Y <==================================

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”