Sym

red cedar bonsai

Red Cedar this was a picture from about a year or so I will try to get a current pic.. I wanna do a canopy style bonsai and I need some ideas of what to do next..

tomc
Super Green Thumb

I'm thinking you may want to try and develop a juniper or an upright yew (makes a bigger tree).

If the shape you are seeking is an umble. Have you looked at an acacia, creosote, or Texas ebony?

Thuja (white cedar) has a hand shaped compound leaf that doesn't (for me at least) prune back well.

I'm stumped on how to recommend a way to manage thuja.

I am not the sharpest tack in the box, I just love my tree babies.

Sym

I'm thinking you may want to try and develop a juniper or an upright yew (makes a bigger tree).
thanks for the insight.. I think I may look into that Texas Ebony.. Beautiful tree..
I have been reluctant to actually buy trees until I get my technique down. This is why I venture the red cedar.... already have it.
That said, I have a couple of privets that will be stunning in the coming years.

tomc
Super Green Thumb

If buying trees are outside your budget, buy some seed for TX ebony.

(Pithecellobium flexicaule)
Sorry I flunked Latin.

K13
Newly Registered

I have a bunch of red cedar saplings all over my yard, in fact I have 3 I have been shape playing for the past 2 years.
I like the lil buggers, and there is a lot around here to make nice test subjects.... BUT , as soon as I dig them up they die. I cant
Get any conifer to live after I harvest them . I wont buy a friend if I cant get a free one to live. Any suggestions would be helpful.
Heck, if ya want a few I wont mind sending some on a journey . Besides the ones I have picked out for projects, I know I have at least 10 -15 along my fence alone.
I say between 3" and 10". Let me know

A. Sears

Eastern red cedar are easy to collect in winter. Save some of the soil around the rootball. They are very good for bonsai even in clay soil. I like to train them in north fort island pine style.

K13
Newly Registered

This is the 2nd time I have heard of the winter harvest thing, would you happen know why? Thats seems odd that every other tree is a spring time thing.
I apologize for my lack of knowledge, anything I learn is completely off the Internet. No one around these parts even know what bonsai is. I personally have completely fallin in love with it.
Literally, I can't find nothing of this world. After a year of searching, I found 2 small pots. Day by day.
Thanks for listening

A. Sears

Winter collection and root pruning is best done in winter when the sap stops flowing and the plant is dormant. It will get your success rate up to almost 100 %

K13
Newly Registered

MOO CHOH GRASSY edited

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”