baileysup
Green Thumb

Pumice and Grani-Grit?

Should I use both of these together, or just one or the other? Do they accomplish the same thing? Or are they different? I've been using straight pumice, but I've just found a source for Grani-Grit, and want to know if I should use both in my soil mix. Thanks

tomc
Super Green Thumb

baileysup wrote:Should I use both of these together, or just one or the other?
I use grani-grit. it is easier for me to obtain, in about ready-to-use grain size.
bailysup wrote:Do they accomplish the same thing? Or are they different?
While they are different stone, their use in bonsai soil is effectively identical
bailysup wrote:I've been using straight pumice, but I've just found a source for Grani-Grit, and want to know if I should use both in my soil mix. Thanks
You will also want at least some bark mulch in your soil. It will both decay slowly in support of mycoriza, and hold onto a little water.

Spring is here you will adopt a regime of fertilizing (use a dilute soluble fert, about 1/4 strength). Once every two weeks till autumn.

baileysup
Green Thumb

Thanks for the reply tomc. It looks like I'll have to redo the repot, as I planted both of my junipers in a 100% inorganic mix. I was under the impression that junipers did not require any organic material in their substrate, as say a maple or other deciduous trees do. So if it will really benefit my junipers, I will repot them again, but this time with the addition of some screened pine bark. I take it these "mycoriza" are important? Thank you for clarifying what the uses are for both Grani-grit, and pumice. I will say that I absolutely LOVE pumice, but Grani-Grit is cheaper.

tomc
Super Green Thumb

If you can keep a mild fertilization regime going, it is sorta possible to create soil with no organic component. Where you live in PA. You may end up watering several times a day in hot weather.

It and the mycoriza thing are the two issues a totally inert soil don't address.

Trees live with and connected to mushroom families. It is my position that those root systems of mushrooms that pick up fertilizer and share it with trees. Trees also help feed the mushroom families. Just who exactly is scratching who's back is not totally clear to me. A jewelers loop and a chop stick will find you more business going on around your trees feet than is obvious at a glance.

Mame sized trees and my poor walking ability make me very aware that a tree can dry out quicker than many think (they can). Thats why I don't grow those very smallest of trees.

Because I only approximate walking, I'll keep a little bark mulch in with the inert soil...

baileysup
Green Thumb

And so it is done! Screened pine bark fines were added to my inorganic mix so that colonies of mycoriza may flourish within it :() . "Come mycoriza!!" "Come and flourish beneath juniper feet, and be happy!".

tomc
Super Green Thumb

Um why are you back on turface again? if you've got pumice, and aknowlege granite grit is cheaper, let the others stuff go.

baileysup
Green Thumb

I just wanted to use it, since I had already purchased it. I won't be buying any more though. I wonder if the Grani-Grit holds as much moisture as the pumice? I need something that I can use for all of my plants/succulents, and not just for bonsai. I'll be purchasing a bag of Grani-Grit this Thursday to try it out. I really can't say anything about it's moisture retention, since I haven't used it yet, but something tells me it will not hold as much moisture as pumice. Once I get the Grani-Grit, I'll have first hand experience using all 3 products of turface, pumice, and granite. I expect it to be heavier than pumice as well, but again, I have no idea. If Grani-Grit doesn't retain moisture like pumice does, it will dry out too quickly for my use (Or, more bark will need to be added). I will find out first hand how Grani-Grit performs soon. If it holds a bit of moisture like pumice does, I will no doubt make the switch to it instead.

baileysup
Green Thumb

I will describe Grani-Grit with one word: HEAVY. It feels to be over twice the weight of pumice, and I'm not even sure if I want to use it now. If I planted my two junipers in this stuff, I wouldn't be able to lift the pot (large pots)! Not sure if it's worth saving a few bucks to gain all that extra weight! I would like some input on this, but as it is right now, I want to take it back, and trade it for pumice. I've reached this conclusion just by carrying it, and haven't even opened it. Also, because it's so heavy, I wonder if when I mix it with soil, it will actually sink to the bottom. Does anyone know if this stuff sinks when mixed in soil? That would not be good either.

baileysup
Green Thumb

Ok, I just re-potted some of my succulents, and I must say that crushed granite has it's place. I mixed some into my already done mix of succulent soil, coconut coir, and pumice. Yes it is heavy, but that can work to your advantage in certain circumstances. Like it can help anchor in place stubborn plants that would just flop around otherwise. Also, it makes one of the nicest top dressings I've seen yet. It doesn't retain as much water as pumice, but again, that can be an advantage in certain circumstances. Also, it's not dusty like the pumice that I get is. I suppose each material has it's place, and most of the time, it will come down to personal preference.

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”