danasymonds
Newly Registered

Trident Maple Seedling Training

I have not had much luck keeping my Chinese Elms indoors however I have a Trident Maple Seedling from Herons Bonsai Supplier (UK) and according to them it is approximately 2 years old.

I currently have it in a training pot and it is spring here in the UK and the seedling seems to be thriving, it has many branches and leaves and is getting tall.

Does anyone have any advice on when I should/can start training it and also is it wise to have it planted in a flower bed to allow the trunk to 'thicken'. at present it stands at probably just over a foot tall, it has four branches at the top of it and some developing further down the trunk also. The trunk probably has about a centimetre circumference.

Any advise on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

you did mean circumference? c = pi x diameter. Therefore the diameter of your trunk, which is the caliper we usually pay attention to, would be roughly one third of a centimeter or a tenth of an inch. Teeny. I would just leave it in the training pot to grow and thicken up. That means you do need to let it get really tall. What helps the trunk to thicken is having a lot of weight to support.

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”