north cali garden
Newly Registered

bonsai identification and care

Hi everyone,

I'm new to bonsai, I got my trees a week ago. I bought my bonsai from a speciality bonsai store. I think they are 2 year old (not sure). The guy told me 1 was a hinoki Cyprus which I think is right, bit the other he said was a juniper of some kind. But I think it looks more like a Japanese cedar. Could you please identify these?
Looks like Japanese cedar to me. Not a juniper.
Looks like Japanese cedar to me. Not a juniper.
Hinoki cypress????
Hinoki cypress????
Now to the real problem. I noticed this today.
Some branches are dying
Some branches are dying
How do I fix this? I feel like I may be over watering. Ive been using a moisture meter tell when to water. Which has been every morning. I assume the soil is good judging by where I got it , it's dense. It's never looked dry when I water, just damp when I press down on the soil.

If you need to ask any questions I'll gladly answer them.

Thanks

WatchMeShove

First one could be a larch? Hinoki cypress for the second one seems correct. About the branches, it seems as if you are just losing some needles which is normal, not whole branches. All evergreens will needle drop, it doesn't seem that you have a problem there.

WatchMeShove

The first one also could be procumbens nana, the needles just look a little longer than I'm used to.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

RE: How do I fix this? I feel like I may be over watering. Ive been using a moisture meter tell when to water. Which has been every morning. I assume the soil is good judging by where I got it , it's dense. It's never looked dry when I water, just damp when I press down on the soil.

"Dense" is NOT what you want bonsai soil to be. What you want is loose, mostly inorganic, very free draining. Look up bonsai soil in the bonsai learning library section here.

Damp when you press on the soil and watering every day both sound like over- watering.

mihael1515
Newly Registered

hi guys can anyone tell me what kind of tree is this?
Attachments
IMG_0027.JPG
IMG_0026.JPG
IMG_0024.JPG

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”