nicoleaspen
Newly Registered

How to Help Ligustrum Bonsai - Leaves Shriveled & Drying?

Hi, I'm very new to bonsai ( had my ligustrum for a week) and basically

my bonsai tree's leaves are just starting to shrivel/dry up and fall off D: only in a few areas at the moment but I don't want it to continue D: I got it from a gardening center. I have been watering and misting every day, could the cause be over watering? plus it has been indoors for a few weeks so should I put it outside? I'm too scared because it is cold! 10 degrees C :S HELP ME! I really do not want to hurt my tree :'(

tomc
Super Green Thumb

Lingustrum is hearty to only zone 8-10. I would not want it out in weather colder than 50° F.

Please use a chopstick to test for watering needs, and do not place your tree near to, or on top of a heat register or radiator.

Do you check your trees need for water daily? Is it getting full sun and or supplimental light? Please note geographical notations on my signature line. You might want some too.

nicoleaspen
Newly Registered

I am from the UK and new to this , so I don't know what zone 8-10 means sorry!

it was placed above a radiator for 2 days, but that was almost a week ago. I have moved it to a new position where it gets some light. I think it is warm enough to put outside now, it is about 59degrees during the day, so I may move it back in on colder nights..

uk isn't too good for full sunlight, but if I'll move it to a better spot and outside tomorrow, hopefully this will help. I also will start using the chopstick testing method thanks for that tip!

tomc
Super Green Thumb

USDA (united States Department of Agriculture) hardiness zones are available everywhere. It paints with a wide brush your climate.

A radiator can cook beyond all hope of recovery a tree in a pot, in a single hour.

In the hope that all life has not been cooked out of your tree, try setting it underneath a lamp. Place the tree as close to the bulb as you can. Three inches is not too close.

I would not place a tender tree in and out till may (in SE-OH, USDA zone 6-A).

nicoleaspen
Newly Registered

the radiator wasn't on a very high temperature so the might be hope! ive attached a picture of my placement next to a lamp, I will have to turn it off regularly to prevent it over heating ( which is why the tree is a bit further than 3 inches) there are still new leaves growing so I hope that is a good sign!
Attachments
1396249363432.jpg

tomc
Super Green Thumb

Where there is life, there is hope.

Stick chopstick in soil, then withdraw it and check it for moisture. If its damp, don't water today. If its dry top water over a sink & drain it at the drain board.

May is coming, It can go out and live outdoors then.

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”