aaj23
Newly Registered

Dwarf Jade advice please. (Portulacaria)

Hey guys, recently I received a dwarf Bonsai tree as a gift and despite the fact that I've never owned a bonsai tree before I am an experienced gardener and actually have some normal size jade plans in my yard that are doing quite well despite all the heavy rain we get in Florida. In any case the reason for my post is that I'm looking for a little advice on what's going on with my plant.

For starters, I removed the rocks that were glued on at the top, it just didn't seem like I could adequately water the plant with them in place. I put it under one of the sky lights in my house as I'm worried that if I leave it outside my gardeners will end up zapping it with a weed whacker or something. As far as watering it, I've waited until the soil was reasonably dry as Jade is a succulent and at least with my other succulents/cactus don't like to be over-watered. The thing that worries me is that some of the leaves are falling off, at least a couple every day; my other jade plants don't shed at all so I'm worried. I was thinking that the sunlight provided by my sky light isn't enough, but I figured I'd consult you guys before I tried to move it. Other than the fact that it's shedding it looks quite health, not drooping and still a nice green color typical of jade. Perhaps it's getting acclimated to it's new home?

Any thoughts?

Thanks!
Aj

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

AJ,

Hello and welcome to the site. Just so you know although this plant is commonly known as Dwarf Jade it is actually a Portulacaria afar. I keep both and find their culture much the same. Do you keep any of your Jades in pots or are they all in the landscape?

The reason I ask is I wonder if you are familiar keeping them in pots or is this new to you? Can you describe, or better yet post some photos of, the soil. It should be fairly open and gritty, the important thing is that it drains well and be allowed to dry sufficiently between waterings. The soil in pots can be allowed to go quite dry. If the leaves are becoming flaccid you have waited too long otherwise they are fine.

I think you will find that the plant will be better off outside. Perhaps you can find a wall or bench of some sort to keep it on to ensure it's safety.

Norm

aaj23
Newly Registered

Most of my Jade plants are actually planted though I do have one in a pot sitting outside my patio; that said I haven't ever needed to water it (because of all the rain in Florida) and it's remained fairly consistent in size since I got it. It's definitely one of the lowest maintenance plants I own; when I saw this miniature version I figured it might also be easy to take care of, but after reading how much work and care must be given I'm rethinking that...lol.

The soil may not dry off sufficiently inside which could be the problem, my house stays a constant 79-80 degrees with reasonably high humidity (since it's Florida); this morning I put it on my wall outside in front of my garden but it rains a LOT here in south Florida over the summer and the wall where I put it doesn't provide much shelter from it; will it be ok there do you think? It gets pretty hot during the days where it's not raining so I guess that should help things along.

Here are some pictures of the plant and soil

https://www.jordan-designs.com/bonsai/IMG_1921.jpg
https://www.jordan-designs.com/bonsai/IMG_1922.jpg
https://www.jordan-designs.com/bonsai/IMG_1923.jpg

ynot
Greener Thumb

aa23,

Consider getting rid of the moss on the soil surface and get it repotted into some primarily inorganic [Large particle] well draining soil and this will help to dramatically reduce the chances of it being over-watered while living outside {Even with all the rain you receive}.

See the soil sticky at the top of the forum for more info on potting media of this type.

What is in the pot at the moment looks to be quite a heavy water retentive small stuctured soil which is not helping you out any wrt drainage....

ynot

aaj23
Newly Registered

I'll ditch the moss the next time I walk outside, I wasn't sure if it had some sort of symbiotic relationship with the plant so I didn't wanna upset it. I'll look into getting some new soil but since I watered it a day ago I'll wait until it dries out so that it's easier to transplant and I won't need to shake the old soil off the roots.

Thanks for all the advice!

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”