baileysup
Green Thumb

Spring is near

I've done my best to obtain the best potting materials for my trees. I have pumice, and turface, and bark. Oh, by the way, I'll be re-potting two junipers very soon. This will be my first time mixing the 3 ingredients for such large pots. I can account for the bark (I know what it does), but is 50% clay to much to start with? Or should I start with 75% pumice, 25% turface to start? My containers are large ( 2-5 gal range), so I would like to get this right the first time. It would be a lot of work to re-pot again after this, and the trees would not like it. No I could not find crushed granite yet, but still looking. I'm told that I don't need it anyways. Thanks, and I'll post picks for updates :)

Grani-grit
Last edited by baileysup on Fri Mar 07, 2014 11:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

baileysup
Green Thumb

My tree babies: Pics of last year, when I bought them.

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

baileysup,

I've never been one to worry too much over exact ratios, I do like to include more than one inorganic though. By switching to the modern substrate you will be improving things greatly.

A few other things you might consider would be Diatomaceous Earth. I get it as NAPA brand oil absorbent part # 8822 This is the only oil absorbent that I have found to be suitable.

Another material to consider, if available, is Haydite. This is a fired shale product and is very hard and seems to hold less water than some of the others.

Norm

baileysup
Green Thumb

Hey, thanks Gnome. I figured I'd ask, since I've never used Turface before, and really don't know how much moisture it holds. Some say it holds a lot of moisture. I think I'll just use a 50/50, or 60% pumice 40% Turface ratio to Start. Also, I'm going to soak some Turface on the side for a few minutes, and see how long it takes for it to dry out. That should give me a better idea of what to do come mixing time. It's 45 degrees F out today, and all I can say is, it's about time.

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”