kendracolette
Newly Registered

Mushroom growing in Chinese Elm Bonsai pot

Hello all -

I was given a Chinese Elm Bonsai for Valentine's day, and I've been doing as much online research on it as I can since then. So far the tree has been doing okay - some yellowing and dropping of leaves, but I've been told that's normal when the tree gets a new home. It came with some moss attached, but I removed it when it started looking brown and moldy. I know that Chinese Elms fare best when they can be outside; however, I do not have a patio or anything, so it is currently sitting next to my window (southeast facing), which I keep open for it on most days (unless it is raining).

The reason I'm posting: Today when I got home from work, I noticed a little mushroom growing in the pot with my tree. I haven't had a lot of luck figuring out if this is something that is bad for my tree or a bad sign as to the conditions. I use toothpicks in the soil to determine moisture level, but maybe I am still overwatering or else not giving it enough sunlight - it's been pretty cloudy here the last few days. Anyways, I thought it might be best for me to give this forum a shot so that I don't miss anything by trying to figure it out on my own because the tree does mean a lot to me since it was given to me by someone very special.

I have attached a picture of the mushroom. Sorry that the picture is so dark, I don't have the best lighting in my room.

Thanks in advance!

Kendra

Update: During a previous soil inspection, I saw a couple of tiny fast moving bugs which quickly went beneath the soil when uncovered. It's difficult to identify them as they are so small and move so fast, but I have spent hours trying to figure out what they are.
Attachments
Additional picture of the tree from the other day...
Additional picture of the tree from the other day...
Mushroom
Mushroom

tomc
Super Green Thumb

Welcome Kendra,

Keeping deciduous trees indoors, is sort of like keeping a poodle in an aquarium. It will work for a while. But only for a while.

Bonsai soil is commonly made of inert stoney material like decomposed granite-perlite, and organic materials like pine bark mulch. Mushrooms live with and on those organic materials, it is natural and normal.

Pick it off if it is distracting.

Grooming, be it daily or seasonal is a normal activity with a tree-baby. Lots of people have a tweezer or three as part of their bonsai tool-kit.

kendracolette
Newly Registered

Thanks for the reply! I'm very relieved it isn't something that is harmful. I do inspect the tree daily for signs of unhappiness. I am also hoping to move sometime in the near(ish) future, so hopefully I can keep him alive until I can get a place where it he can be outside! :)

tomc
Super Green Thumb

Moving and bonsai is its own agony and tribulation. If you stay with bonsai as a hobby your acute need to know your own space will make today's requests of a location on your signature or profile transparent. :)

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”