Biotany
Newly Registered

VERY new to bonsai, just a few questions!

Hello!

I am very new to the forum and very new to bonsai.

I recently purchased a baby 'Blue Star' Juniper. It isn't ready to do anything yet (posting pics tomorrow when the lighting is better).

However, I know the basics of Bonsai since I had a dwarf pomegranate going good for awhile until the cat decided it would be better to eat than grow. I understand when they reach a certain height (the pomegranate was a good 6-8 inches tall) you are to sacrifice some branches, shape it with wire, and just keep up with new growth and all that until it is ready to be put in its final, bonsai pot.

The only thing I never understood is how the trunk thickens. How does one get the trunk to thinking to a satisfying diameter? Out of all my research I have not been able to find a concise enough answer (unless I am over thinking it, which tends to happen). Some sources say that it will just thicken naturally as it grows even if I am pruning, others say that trimming the lateral roots will make it thicken though it stunts the growth.

Please, oh mighty gurus of Bonsai wisdom, impart on me your vast collective knowledge!!!

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

It will never get very thick growing in a bonsai pot. If you really want a thick trunk sometime this century, you need to plant it back in the ground or in a large nursery container and let the tree get big with lots of leaves and lots of weight for the trunk to support.

Once it gets the kind of trunk you want (or close), then you can work on reducing it back to bonsai size through trunk chops, root pruning, etc.

Biotany
Newly Registered

Awesome! Thank you for your reply!!

I will have to take the larger pot route for now since I rent and, even though I am allowed a garden, my landlord would rather me not plant trees. The nice lady at the gardening center advised me not to pot up until I see the roots "sticking up from the soil" but I will post a picture tomorrow and ask of your opinion on whether I should leave it in or pot up right away.

Again, thanks! Keep an eye out for the pics.

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”