baileysup
Green Thumb

Couldn't find Turface MVP locally

Turface is a good material to mix your own bonsai soil with. My local Agway did have this clay material called ProField Field Conditioner. It's a high fired clay product, just like the Turface, and the particle size looks good and big, so I think it will work. I could only find the Turface MVP online for around $38 a bag plus shipping. The Profield was $22 no shipping, and I think it's almost the same thing as the Turface. I will keep looking for the Turface, so I can compare them eventually. I also picked up a bag of Dry Stall. This is a pumice type of material, that I'll mix with the Profield to make my bonsai soil. Hopefully the ProField Field Conditioner is similar enough to the Turface MVP for my soil to be successful. They are both calcined clay soil modifiers, so I think the ProField will work fine. The particle size is good too. If anyone has used the Profield Field Conditioner to make bonsai soil, please let me know what you think. My tree babies have survived this harsh winter, and are ready to be planted into the proper soil :)

tomc
Super Green Thumb

I have repeatedly tried "high fired" clay products some from Agway. Every single time I tried them, they failed.

Its your money and your trees, it will never be mine again.

baileysup
Green Thumb

I've heard from many, that there are a lot of negatives with Turface. It does retain more moisture than pumice, and also can store the salts from water. From what I'm told it can break down after a while too. Some say it breaks down, and some say it doesn't, but the fact that it holds salts is enough for me to swap it out next year. There's a chance that it holds too much water, as well, but that will depend on individual climate. I plan on re-potting both of my trees again next year with Grani-Grit, and some pine bark. I doubt the Turface will break down in a year. So far I have no problems with it, but it's only been about a month. My trees have been through enough torture for this year, and my mix of pumice, Turface, and pine bark, is still light years better than what they were in (nursery soil). I won't be buying any more Turface, and at least now, I have some first hand experience using it.

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

baileysup,

Don't worry too much about your plants, I've been using Turface for years and have found it to be a stable material. Last year, and this I received the alternate product you mentioned earlier. It is manufactured by the same company and it is, as near as I can tell, the same. With all the watering I do, I don't worry too much about salt buildup either.

Norm

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”