baileysup
Green Thumb

Just got my soil sieve today

The smallest screen it comes with is 1/16th of an inch, and the holes look rather large. Will this be ok, for making my bonsai soil, or would I want to get one that's 1/32nd of an inch, like window screen?

tomc
Super Green Thumb

baileysup wrote:The smallest screen it comes with is 1/16th of an inch, and the holes look rather large. Will this be ok, for making my bonsai soil, or would I want to get one that's 1/32nd of an inch, like window screen?
1/16th IS window screen.

My self built screens are 1/2", 1/4", 1/8", 1/16"

baileysup
Green Thumb

baileysup wrote:
1/16th IS window screen.

My self built screens are 1/2", 1/4", 1/8", 1/16"[/quote]

You're right, and they don't make a 1/16" screen. The sieve came with 1/2", 1/4", and 1/8" ( I thought it came with a 1/16", but then I measured it). I'm guessing 1/16" screening is necessary for the bonsai soil, and 1/8" would be to large of particles? I suppose I can make one out of wood and window screen :roll:
Last edited by baileysup on Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

baileysup,
I'm guessing 1/16" screening is necessary for the bonsai soil, and 1/8" would be to large of particles? I suppose I can make one out of wood and window screen
For me, what passes through 1/4" and stays on top of 1/8" is my typical soil size. What passes through 1/8" and stays on top of 1/16" is too small. I still retain it for use with seedlings or cuttings.

Norm
Attachments
IMG_0218-cropped.jpg
IMG_0218-cropped.jpg (37.73 KiB) Viewed 1672 times

baileysup
Green Thumb

Gnome wrote:
For me, what passes through 1/4" and stays on top of 1/8" is my typical soil size. What passes through 1/8" and stays on top of 1/16" is too small. I still retain it for use with seedlings or cuttings.

Norm

Yaaaaaa! So I can wait on the 1/16" screen to make my soil. Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaa! Thanks Norm! I will make a 1/16" one for future needs, cause otherwise I'd be wasting a lot of product.

tomc
Super Green Thumb

baileysup wrote:
baileysup wrote:
You're right, and they don't make a 1/16" screen. The sieve came with 1/2", 1/4", and 1/8". I'm guessing 1/16" screening is necessary for the bonsai soil, and 1/8" would be to large of particles? I suppose I can make one out of wood and window screen :roll:
Um actually no. 1/8th inch hardware cloth will pass grit smaller than that size. For all but the very smallest of mame (more than one pot will fit in your hand) trees, 1/8th with holds small enough particles. it works very well.

The next bigger screen (1/4") is for two and four hand trees. Um let me back up. what ever will not permit gravel (or bark) to pass through is too big to go into any bonsai pot mortals can pick up. Those bigger bits need to go to gravel drive ways or the compost bin. What ever will pass through a 1/8th inch hardware cloth screen is too small to be used in most bonsai pots. And can be used as green sand or seedling mix.

I have mixed the dust that will pass through a 1/16" inch screen as the medium to grow moss upon a shallow pie pan for moss for display.

My 1/2 inch hardware cloth screen gets used when I'm sifting garden beds. Carrot for example like to be spoilt with sifted soil.

Good thread. Not enough people who grow bonsai do this. But yes you don't have'ta have a 1/16" or 1/2" hardware cloth screen to make bonsai.

imafan26
Mod

I had a set of sieve's a long time ago, but I don't even know where they are now. I just know what works.

applestar
Mod

I have a set too. They are also good for sifting chaff from seed. You absolutely need THREE sizes.

KEY as mentioned already is that they help to separate what to keep and what to discard. Sometimes the things to keep are what DOESNT go through the holes and other times, they are what DOES go through the holes.

Great break down of what to keep and not to keep for Bonsai soil. 8)

Have fun and good luck! :D

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”