arbalest
Newly Registered

Two Ginseng Ficuses In Need of Help

Hello there!

I have two, what I believe are, Ginseng Ficuses. I have had them both for about four years with no problems (aside from a spider mite infestation right after I bought them). Now though, the leaves on both are yellowing and shriveling at an alarming rate. The roots have also begun to wrinkle, so it might already be too late. But perhaps you can help!

I don't water either of these two unless the soil is dry. Recently though, I fear I let them dry out too much; they didn't take kindly to my watering and misting them. I only move them when I water them to help with drainage and of course to take the photos. They are kept near a window. I haven't had any problems with them until recently. I was wondering if you all might be able to help.

I live in central US, and we've had an unusually bad winter. But the trees are always kept indoors. I've included photos of the trees and their roots.

Thank you in advance!
photo 1.JPG
photo 2.JPG
photo 2.JPG (39.78 KiB) Viewed 1086 times
photo 3.JPG
photo 4.JPG
photo 4.JPG (37.82 KiB) Viewed 1086 times
photo 5.JPG
photo 5.JPG (36.57 KiB) Viewed 1086 times

tomc
Super Green Thumb

Are those rocks glued on?

arbalest
Newly Registered

They are. I've always been afraid to pry them off for fear of stressing out the tree. Though, in hindsight, I should probably have done so. Would it be a danger to do so now?

tomc
Super Green Thumb

If it helps you search for details about the horticultural needs of your trees, they are ficus microcarpa, or ginseng rooted ficus. They're not really bonsai, beyond how easily they can be propagated.

The rocks really interfer with watering in general and specifially for using a chop stick to test for watering needs. I would remove them post haste.

That gravel was hot glued on to make the tree look tidy for shipping. And no other purpouse.

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”