Mikes Bonsai
Newly Registered

New to bonsai - looking for help

Hi guys!

I've recently started bonsai, possibly a bit ill informed, but am giving it a go nonetheless! The bonsai I need help with is a ligustrum sinsense? I will attempt to post pics in this post.

The problem is the first branch on the left of the tree, it has been cracked near the trunk and I was looking for advice or guidance on what to do with it? I have been thinking about cutting it off completely but I believe this will inhibit growth in that area? Which will cause the tree to look lopsided?

Eagerly awaiting your replies! 8)

Mike
Attachments
Ligustrum bonsai!
Ligustrum bonsai!

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Mike,

Hello and welcome. It looks as though the branch is doing OK, so if you want to keep it I think I would just leave well enough alone. It can always be remove later if necessary.

Norm

jake4bonsai
Newly Registered

Hi Mike, if the leaves on the described branch aren't wilting or dying the branch is still getting enough sap flow. I wouldn't attempt to bend it or mess with it too much, I would get some clay type would sealant and seal the crack and leave it alone until it heals over. They're are different types of would sealants for different applications but for this the clay type is ideal. The best I've ever used is sold by Dallas Bonsai and is reasonably cheap. It can be used to heal most wounds. Despite what ANYBODY tells you wound sealant does work and should be used. Not only does it allow the wound to heal 3-5 times faster than without it but it also seals off the open cambium to keep insects and disease out! Once the wound is healed over you can then think about wiring and bending the branches downward which your tree definitely needs. I wouldn't worry to much about the branch dying because once its time to bend those branches down it may be too low and require cutting it off anyway. So just get you some wound sealant/cut paste which you should always have on hand anyway if you are going to put a worth while effort into bonsai and seal the wound and just wait. Privit grow fast and if that branch lives and you use the wound sealant it should be healed over within a couple months. Once healed and you wire just be careful the very first time you bend the branch and try keeping most of the pressure off the cracked area. Hope this helps! If you have any other questions don't be afraid to ask. I found it rather tough getting good advice when I was a beginner and I have dedicated myself to helping beginners. A lot of people seem to forget they were beginners before too.

Mikes Bonsai
Newly Registered

Thanks for the replies guys!

I'll definitely be heeding your advice, guess I was a bit too keen for a quick fix solution, which when working on bonsai probably isn't ideal! Haha

Thanks again

Mike

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”