marika23

Ficus bonsai with fungus?

Hello! :D

I have a willow-leaf ficus bonsai that has what appears to be a fungus. I have included a link to some photos here:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/3xew3mnwh3f3ipd/7Jr3ulEMic

As you can see there are black spots, and lots of yellowing leaves (not so many in the photo since I remove the dead ones every day).

I had started using a general purpose fungicide / insecticide 3 weeks ago, once a week, but it's not improved, only seems to be getting worse. Is there an alternative solution to treat this? I've had this bonsai for over a year now and it's been fine until about a month ago. I really don't want to lose it :cry:

Thanks very much in advance for any assistance!!

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

marika23,

Can you please tell us more about how you have been managing it, where you are located, is the plant indoors this time of year, etc?

It is not uncommon for Ficus to drop leaves when stressed or even just because they are older leaves. I'm not sure what the dark spots indicate, perhaps it is a fungus. Does anyone else have any ideas.

Norm

marika23

Hello Norm, thank you!

The ficus is located outside as it's sub-tropical weather -- like mostly around the 80s-90s. Not particularly humid though at the moment. It was completely fine until about 4-5 weeks ago and I saw black spots and yellowing leaves around that time. I don't water it too much, I usually wait for the soil to be near-dry, so every 2-3 days.

Thanks again!!

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

marika23,

Does the soil still drain freely? When you do water are you watering deeply? There might be some issue with the roots. If the rootball will hold its shape you can slip it from the pot to have a look.

Norm

marika23

Thank you Norm,

Over the last couple of days there seems to have been a slight improvement. I had moved it into the sun as I read that is better for them, and after a slight shock it recovered. I've found only 1-2 leaves with spots on them in the last few days, so I will keep an eye on it!

Otherwise, the soil drains easily. Next strategy will be to check out the roots, if it doesn't recover fully!
:D thanks very much for the tip! :wink:

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

marika23,

Glad to hear good news. If all seems well the un-potting may not be necessary.

Norm

marika23

Hi, just wanted to let you know that the ficus recovered very well from its disease and is all grown back now, with lots of new green leaves and they are staying green!!! :D

Thanks again for the help!!!!

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”