Mirvjen

Bonsai losing all its leaves !

Hello guys,

I would really appreciate if you could help me out with my bonsai. It started to lose all leaves !
It's been watered as always and stayed in the same spot for now 2 years, and it was always healthy.
May this be something seasonal ? I live in Tirana - Albania, where is not particularly cold.
Here are some photos... the last one (4) was taken 1 week after the first three.

Hope someone knows what's going on...

Thanks
Attachments
4.jpg
4.jpg (33.64 KiB) Viewed 2674 times
3.jpg
2.jpg
2.jpg (41.71 KiB) Viewed 2674 times
1.jpg
1.jpg (44.31 KiB) Viewed 2674 times

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Your tree is some kind of ficus.

Not clear to me what is going on, if it has been doing well all this time. Ficus are famous for dropping a bunch of leaves when under stress, but that is usually when something changes, if the tree is moved to different light level, or allowed to dry out too much or some other new stress.

They are evergreen, so this is NOT a normal seasonal change like a deciduous tree dropping its leaves in the fall. And I would say, that generally when a ficus gets stressed and drops its leaves, it just drops them and you will see a bunch of healthy looking leaves on the floor around your tree. Your tree, especially in the third picture down, is showing a lot of leaves that haven't fallen but are curling and browning.

If I had to guess, I would say your tree is diseased. Hopefully someone with more expertise than me will come along to say what kind of disease and what to do about it.

If you don't get a good answer, I would re-post the question in the tree section. Your tree has been treated as a large bonsai, but your question isn't really a bonsai question as much as a general trying to grow a tree indoors question.

applestar
Mod

OK, a couple more thoughts to add to rainbowgardener's --

You say it doesn't get cold, but how cold in temp does it get? Is the plant subject to draft from open doors, etc? OR is it where cold dry or hot dry air from air conditioning or heating vent hits it? Has the heating been switched on? Also, assuming it stays by the window, there might be thermal transfer of outside air. It's environment may well have changed. Do you keep track of its ambient temperature and humidity -- you could put a remote censor on the tree and have the base station at your desk or something....

Another possibility I can suggest because the location looks like a public place -- like a car dealer showroom or car rental kind of thing (just guessing from the advert board) -- is if there was a party or something here, some unthinking guest could have poured an alcoholic beverage in the pot. Usually that's the only kind that could kill a plant -- meaning soda, coffee, etc. wouldn't be a problem unless it was ice cold or scalding hot. Dead roots --> dead branch.

Mirvjen

Hi guys,

Thanks for your comments.
Concerning the environment conditions, I'm sure nothing changed. Same amount of watering, same light position... It's been 2 years that the tree is there and was always green. Now, in winter season, the temperature during the night drops at around 8-10 degrees (rarely at 5 degrees).
On the other hand, I cannot be sure that someone may have dropped something on its soil (yes, the location is a car dealer).

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

You said the temps get down 10 deg (C) or even 5. That would be 50 or 41 deg F. That's outside temps, right? And your tree is indoors? But it does look like the tree is right next to a large window. So temps around the leaves might be getting pretty close to outdoor temps. If the window is drafty and /or you have had (like me) unusually cold windy weather lately, that might be some of the problem. Ficus is a subtropical and does not like cold or drafty.

But honestly, I'm still thinking diseased.

tomc
Super Green Thumb

It either got frosted, or its got root problems is my guess.

Mirvjen

Hi guys,

Thanks for all your suggestions.
If it's root problems or the tree is diseased, is there any solution ?

Thanks again,

tomc
Super Green Thumb

While this tree was not treated as a bonsai, the things a fig need as bonsai is just about the same that a fig needs as a potted tree.

Annually the roots have to get pruned and fresh soil needs to be picked into the root mass. IMO you need to use very fast draining soil (Try either specific bonsai soil, or cactus mix). Potting soil will not do at all, it has too fine particle size.

I would check roots first, especially if it has not regrown any leaves. (It may already be too late).

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”