Joey and Laura
Newly Registered

How Best to Deal with Storm Water on Juniper Bonsai?

Best course of action.

My one Juniper has been placed next to a building. The most recent storm in my area caused water to roll off my garage way faster than usual and ended up splashing out some of the soil about 1/8â€

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Joey,
Is the top of the soil in this bottom picture peat?
It's a little hard to tell from that particular picture but I would say yes it looks rather heavy to me. You know what peat moss looks like, right? It is often seen in bedding plants that are only intended to stay in their pots a month or so.

If I understand correctly both plants are potted in this type of material and one has a top-dressing of coarse sand.
Should I be in a hurry to remove the sand I added to the top of the juniper’s soil and replace it with something else?
Actually the top-dressing looks beter than the underlying medium. There is no overwhelming reason to replace it other than the fact that it will not behave the same as the underlying medium. The coarser material on top will probably dry quicker than the deeper material. As long as you are aware of this you should be OK. Since they seem similar perhaps you can use the other plant as an indiactor.

This does not address the issue that the soil does need to be replaced but this is not the right season to do so. You will have to manage it as best you can until next spring.

[url]https://www.bonsai4me.com/SpeciesGuide/Juniperus.html[/url]

Norm

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”