Natsmms16
Newly Registered

Bonsai Leaves Yellowing - Dead or Dying?

Hi everyone!! I just purchased a small indoor bonsai tree not sure what type but it was reduced and I noticed that some of its leaves have fallen off it does still have few green leaves left on the plant and I did scratch the bark to see if it was green and some of it was!! Could someone tell me if they think the tree could be dying or dead please? Thanks!!

Natsmms16
Newly Registered

This is a picture of my bonsai tree it seems to have white stuff on the bark also!! Please help I may be able to take it back. Thanks
Attachments
This is a picture of my bonsai tree it seems to have white stuff on the bark also!! Please help I may be able to take it back. Thanks
image.jpg (43.36 KiB) Viewed 1899 times

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I am definitely not bonsai expert and hopefully one of the guys that knows a lot more than me will come along soon.

That serrated edge leaf makes me think your tree may be a chinese elm. In which case, despite what they told you (and many vendors are unscrupulous that way and will say anything for a sale), it is not an indoor tree. It needs to be outdoors for a period of cold dormancy. But it also means that losing its leaves is a normal process for it; they are deciduous trees.

I don't know about the white stuff on the bark. Tom? Gnome?

If you want an indoor bonsai, look for tropical evergreens like ficus, carmona, tamarind, etc.

Natsmms16
Newly Registered

Ahh thank you!! It's more than what I know about them anyway. It was from a gardening store but only labelled itself as bonsai mix so wasn't sure what it was. :)

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Natsmms16,

I agree with the ID of Chinese Elm. A second, less likely, possibility would be Zelkova, sometimes tricky to tell without something for scale. The staining looks like hard water stains or possibly fungus/mold. Regardless it is going to be important for you to get a handle on proper watering. Learn about using a chopstick or kitchen skewer to determine when to water here: https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/vi ... =36&t=1479

Proper watering should always be about frequency not quantity, which should be copious. In other words always water thoroughly then wait to water again. A little water at a time is the wrong approach.

Read up on Proper bonsai soils here: https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/vi ... =36&t=3422 and plan on re-potting this coming spring.

Some Chinese Elms behave a bit atypically compared to most deciduous species. The variety that I have tends to hold its leaves well into winter even though I store them in an unheated garage with minimal lighting.

Norm

tomc
Super Green Thumb

My elderly monitor shows no leaves on a black background. I'll defer to younger eyes with newer monitors.

How ever you test your soil for its need for water, you need to ingrain this. Be it with the morning coffee, or when you turn the polka music up to eleven at sundown. It needs be daily and never ever missed. Oh, you might not water every day, but ya' gotta check. there are no vacation days with bonsai.

If your going to lake Tahoe to skinny-dip for a week, somebody has to check and water your tree(s), daily.

I use a chop stick. if its dry its time to water. If the chop stick is wet, it aint. I use a watering can over the kitchen sink.

Your are more than a little between the solar cycle. I would select the coolest space you can find and suppliment that space with two or more florescent bulbs. 12 hours on and 12 hours off. Next fall your tree is staying outdoors for its winter slumber. And no TV reruns either.

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”