ChrisA

HELP! New Juniper just purchased

Hello everyone,

So the person I purchased my Juniper from told me that I could keep it indoors. Well, it was my own fault in not doing more research UNTIL I got the tree home. Once I did, I found that it needs a dormant period outside in the winter time. I will admit that some pages have varying information that has thrown me for a loop as to what is right vs wrong for this tree. I only want the best for my Bonsai.

Here is the situation. The tree was shipped to my home in a box, it was well packaged and had zero damage to it, thankfully. The tree was then indoors at my home for 10 hours sitting in a window sill that likely only got as low as 65f.

Once I read the information on the internet, I immediately placed it in my garage. This is where it now sits, but there are no windows in my garage for it to get any sunlight. We have a roaming cat in the neighborhood that I am too scared of putting it out on my back deck.

My question is, did I do ok? Is the garage going to be good for it? What can I expect with it in dormancy? Will the leaves brown? What should I look for to see if its in danger?

Thanks in advance for any and all information
Chris

tomc
Super Green Thumb

Chris where you are (and noting that on your profile or signature line) are more important than "if your garage has windows".

You can suppliment light with electric lights. Your need to do that is going to depend on where you are geographically.

You will still need to use a chopstick to test for dryness, and water as needed.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

You did well to get it out of your house; junipers die indoors. The unheated garage should be fine for it. They do not need as much light (or water) while dormant, but not none. Tom's suggestion of putting a lamp to shine on it, 12-16 hrs / day, is a good one.

The (outer) leaves/ needles should NOT turn brown. If it does that, it is dying. In fact by the time it shows a significant amount of browning, it may already be dead, past saving. If you see any browning on these, let us know right away. The interior needles that you can only see by spreading branches apart, do turn brown naturally.

Give it limited water and no fertilizer while dormant.

Best wishes and WELCOME to the Forum! :)

ChrisA

Thanks for all the responses!

What is the chopstick test?

Also, I updated my location with my USDA zone. I had to google it to find out. Does that help rpovide any extra information?

Thanks again for everything :)

tomc
Super Green Thumb

Stick a wooden chop stick into the soil of your tree. Count to ten. Take out chop stick. Touch chop stick. If its damp, its not time to water. If its dry, place your tree in kitchen sink and top water liberally. Let it drain before returning it to its lights.

Your zone and this time of year will make you need to keep your tree as brightly lit and cold as you can manage.

Be that under a lamp in a garage, or an unheated room. March or April he's going outdoors for his new forever home.

Central heat and air work faster than your Junipers roots can take up water. Its a killer.

ChrisA

I've heard quite a few different stories on the whole light thing. A lot of people have told me that when in dormancy it doesn't require light.

Also, can I use a tooth pick instead of a chop stick? Cause I don't own any chop sticks.

baileysup
Green Thumb

I remember hearing that the temperature at which a juniper does not require light, is extremely low. I think it's something in the negatives, and at that point, they would not require any light. If the temp is just below freezing, I think they still benefit from light. I will search for the article now, and see if I can find the exact temperatures. Hopefully, I can find it.

baileysup
Green Thumb

Ok, found it. This is a great article about overwintering junipers. There is a section on page two that talks about light requirements. I guess too much light can damage a juniper in extreme cold, and anything below -10* C, the juniper does not require any light. I was wrong about my figure in my previous post. -10*C is 14*F, which is below freezing, yet most certainly NOT in the negative fahrenheit temps. Therefore this article states that junipers require light down to 14*F. Anything below 14*F, they do not require ANY light. Hope this helps you. Here's the link to the article: https://www.bonsai4me.com/Basics/Basics_WinterCare.html

ChrisA

Hi Guys!

Now that Spring is here, I have a bit of a dilemma with my Bonsai (Which by the way survived the winter just fine)

There is a roaming cat in my neighborhood that I don't trust to NOT eat my Bonsai. Is it possible for me to keep it in a window sill that gets sunlight almost all day, if I water it generously as well as mist the branches often?

I just don't want my Bonsai to get eaten or dug up by the neighbors cat.

baileysup
Green Thumb

I don't think it would be best for the juniper to be inside, as it prefers the air, humidity, and temperatures of the outdoors. We have cats too, so I know how they mix with plants. They don't, and they constantly try to destroy my plants. It's like, just when I think I have something "cat proofed", they prove me wrong. Anyway, I have two junipers that I keep outside, but they are larger ones, so they are too heavy for the cats to knock over. The cats don't mess with them too much, but my trees are on the handrail, and not on the ground. All I've ever seen the cats do is rub themselves on a branch for a good scratch, and it's never been noticeably damaging to the tree. They never chew on my junipers like they chew my spider plants (probably not as tasty). If your tree is small, the cats will pose more of a threat (they always find a way), and you will probably want to employ some countermeasures. If I were you, I'd take whatever measures were necessary to have the juniper remain outdoors. This could mean making a fence or cage for it out of chicken wire, or something similar. Ultimately, the choice is yours, but your juniper will do much better being outdoors. Also, congratulations on your juniper making it through winter. It is a good feeling indeed. Good luck! :()

ChrisA

I was thinking of trying to build it a little cage, but havent figured out a design that would work for keeping out the cat, yet letting it get all the light and rain and what not.

I know using chicken wire would likely work really well. I was thinking maybe have a wooden base the wire can attack to and the tree itself can sit on. I'm just not sure how to attach the chicken wire to the wooden base. God I'm such a noob at this stuff LOL I've only ever really built computers most of my life.

baileysup
Green Thumb

I saw preformed, cone shaped ones at walmart today, that might work for you. We also have an old guinea pig cage top that would probably work. Basically, whatever you can find along those lines. You can fasten it to something at the base, like you said, but you might just be able to place it over the tree. I've never seen a cat lift a cage up, or dig under a fence, although you can never be sure what they are capable of. Hope this helps you, and good luck :)

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”