PDunphy82
Newly Registered

My First Bonsai (Serissa Seroides)

I purchased my first bonsai after wanting one for several years. I have no idea as to its age or really how to keep it properly but I am dedicated to learning. Could somebody please help me with any advice on how to properly water and care for my new tree.

Thank you

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

PDunphy82,

Hello and welcome. Start by reading the sticky threads at the top pf the forum, make sure to follow the links they contain, concentrating on watering practices first. Once you get through it all you should have a much better understanding of the basics and we will be glad to help with specific questions. Also, please inform us of your location, growing environment, species in question, etc, etc.

Norm

PDunphy82
Newly Registered

The tips were really helpful I was woried I was over watering it. Is it advisable to spray the leaves several times a day? Thank God for this site, I never realised how much you worry for your bonsai lol. thanks Gnome

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

PDunphy82,
The tips were really helpful I was woried I was over watering it.
Glad they were helpful. As I just posted in another thread correct watering is more about the frequency with which you water than the quantity which should always be copious. A little water often is the wrong approach.
Is it advisable to spray the leaves several times a day?
If you are willing and able to do so, by all means go for it. But don't beat yourself up if you can't.
Thank God for this site, I never realised how much you worry for your bonsai lol.
Keeping bonsai can be likened to keeping pets they are living things that are dependent upon you for their survival.
thanks Gnome
You're very welcome

Norm

PDunphy82
Newly Registered

my leaves are starting to go a yellow colour, what am I doin wrong?

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

PDunphy82,
my leaves are starting to go a yellow colour, what am I doin wrong?
It is possible that you are still watering too frequently. Observe the condition of the soil beneath the surface, as the soil on top dries quicker than that below.

You still have not provided us some of the very basic information that I previously requested. :?

Norm

PDunphy82
Newly Registered

sorry forgot to update my info:

My tree is a Serissa Seroides I bought it about a week ago from homebase, it came with Bonsai Fertiliser and clippers.

I am living in London and currently the growing conditions are on a table near to the window. I read the advise on drafts ect, I could be overwatering it as you suggested and will leave the time inbetween longer in the future. I also try to keep it out of the sunlight and instead use the house lihgting as I believe it needs as many hours of sunlight as possible.

Thank you for taking the time to help, I do appreciate your advice

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

PDunphy82,
Thank you for taking the time to help, I do appreciate your advice
You're welcome, I try.
sorry forgot to update my info:
I have the nagging feeling that the species was in the title of your thread all along and somehow I overlooked it, if so please accept my apologies. :oops:
I am living in London and currently the growing conditions are on a table near to the window. I read the advise on drafts ect,
Although I do not grow this species I keep nothing inside during the summer, moving tender plants inside only when fall approaches.
I also try to keep it out of the sunlight and instead use the house lihgting as I believe it needs as many hours of sunlight as possible.
I'm not sure that I agree with this as there is more to lighting than hours of light, quality vs quantity you know. Besides, summer solstice has just passed and there are plenty of 'hours of light' outside now. I am hesitant to offer you advice on a species that I am unfamiliar with, perhaps others who do grow Serissa can help you with determining the best location during summer.

As far as the possibility of over-watering goes, remember that it has only been a few days since you made any changes, it may take a while for any improvement to become apparent.

[url]https://www.bonsai4me.com/SpeciesGuide/Serissa.html[/url]
Norm

Sharp

Also keep in mind, Serissa's aren't exactly a beginner plant. They make beautiful bonsai in my opinion but are a tad finicky.

You're 3 big factors with this one are going to be:

Water
Light lvls
Humidity

Watch the leaf colors. over/under watering will change them different colors usually. That can be a great barometer in gaging a schedule for your tree.

Give em great outdoor sun if you can. Avoid thoes harsh afternoon light with some shade, while allowing it some great direct morning sunlight.

You're tree will need high humidty lvls. Spraying it a few times a day will help keep this up but you can also use a humidity tray. A tray with rocks in the bottom with water. That will help and also not be so time consuming for you.

A big beginner mistake is to think you can keep this one indoors. Although it might survive a bit, it really will do better outside. That being said English winters aren't exactly ideal for tropicals. You'll need a play that can get supplimentary light, all the while not shocking this tree from its regular schedule.

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Sharp,

Thanks for helping out with this one. I hope the OP takes your advice, particularly regarding location, to heart.

Norm

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”