Sayuri
Newly Registered

Bonsai troubles

Hi!

Two months ago I got a Japanese Pepper Tree (Zanthoxylum piperitum) as gift. Since I own no patio I put it close to a window and I water it when the soil feels dry.

A month ago or so, I detected some green aphids under the leaves as well as some dark (green or black, I couldn't tell) small bugs on the branches especially the new ones. I took my bonsai and gave it a soapy bath (protecting the vase of course) but it didn't solve it. For 2 weeks now I've been applying insecticide (recommended by the bonsai shop where the specimen was purchased) and the truth is I don't spot bugs anymore but my bonsai's leaves are turning yellow and sometimes whole branches fall to the ground :(

What should I do?

Thank you all,

Petra (in Portugal)

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Sayuri,

First, welcome to the site. I'm glad that you posted the species of your tree and your location even though it is not especially relevant in this case.

You have stopped using the insecticide, correct? If the bugs are gone and you are still spraying please don't. Can you provide more information? Of particular interest is the condition of the soil, pictures would help in this regard and in general also. Please describe your watering practices, there are sticky threads at the top of the forum that can give you some pointers if you are unsure of the correct method. What is the environment like in your home? Does the pot have adequate drainage? The more information you provide the more meaningful our suggestions will be.

This species is a bit of an oddball in the bonsai world although I must admit that I like the looks of them despite the compound leaves.

Norm

Sayuri
Newly Registered

Indeed I stopped using the insecticide and as recommended by the insecticide itself I showered my bonsai yet again (covering the vase like before).

I'm posting some before and after pictures (note that the "after" picture was taken today, after the "bath" so there aren't many yellow leaves to be spotted). By comparison though you may still notice that many branches are missing..

before
[img]https://img372.imageshack.us/img372/5558/beforejv6.jpg[/img]

after
[img]https://img353.imageshack.us/img353/6721/afterca6.jpg[/img]

As for the soil I have no idea what they used :(

I read the threads at the top on how to properly water and I think I'm doing ok. I check for dry soil before I water and I recently changed to the chopstick technique just to be safe and not over-water.

The bonsai is by a big window, I usually open it slightly but I never put the bonsai right where it may be windy. When it is too hot, I move it away a little.

As for the drainage when I water I always spot water coming out of the vase... Should I be looking for some other clues?

Petra

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Petra,

My question concerning the soil was primarily to ensure that the tree drains well. However there are other advantages to using a free draining soil, most notably aeration. The roots of the tree need air as much as they need moisture. Too heavy of a soil inhibits aeration and drainage. Is the soil coarse and gritty or finely textured and peat based potting soil?

When watering, water should flow freely from the hole(s), ensure that the entire root-mass is thoroughly wetted. You will not over-water this way, over-watering occurs when you repeat the above too soon. Correct watering is more about frequency than quantity.

Your tree does not seem to be in immediate peril so don't panic. I will say that keeping it indoors is not the best approach but since you have no alternative you will have to do your best. You can try to use a humidity tray to help keep the humidity up. And I would also suggest that you begin a fertilization program, trees in pots are dependent upon the grower to provide what otherwise would be provided by nature.

Other than that I don't have any specific knowledge of this tree just general suggestions.

Norm

Sayuri
Newly Registered

I followed your sugestion and bought a fertilizer. I have one more question though that I haven't been able to clarify. In the bottle it says to use it dilute and use it every other 15 days. My question is: do I keep the solution I use the first time? Or do I trash it and just dilute some more in 15 days?

Thank you again for your replies :)
You have been very helpful in your sugestions.

ynot
Greener Thumb

Sayuri wrote:I followed your sugestion and bought a fertilizer. I have one more question though that I haven't been able to clarify. In the bottle it says to use it dilute and use it every other 15 days. My question is: do I keep the solution I use the first time? Or do I trash it and just dilute some more in 15 days?

Thank you again for your replies :)
You have been very helpful in your sugestions.
Trash it, Ferts do not keep well [Especially for a fortnight] Simply mix smaller batches to conserve it [The math is pretty simple :)] \\Also can you please post The N, P, & K of the fert you bought [It will be listed on the package]

See this link for a basic understanding of ferts: https://www.bonsai4me.com/Basics/Basics_Feed.html

Good luck

ynot

Sayuri
Newly Registered

The fertilizer is
- 6% N
- 2% P
- 5% K

and also some minor amounts of Mg, Fe, Mn and Zn.

Thank you ;)

ynot
Greener Thumb

Sayuri wrote:The fertilizer is
- 6% N
- 2% P
- 5% K

and also some minor amounts of Mg, Fe, Mn and Zn.

Thank you ;)
Your welcome,

You will read a bit about 'balanced ferts' in the link provided but do not go crazy with concern [It happens around here sometimes....;), People either overthink things to death...Or not at all :roll: :lol:]

Your fert is a bit low on P perhaps but it is nothing to be concerned about - this fert will not hurt your tree as it is low %s. The minor bits are good 8).

I would not use it at half strength as you may see suggested [They are working with higher % than you have there.

Good luck,

ynot

Sayuri
Newly Registered

Yes indeed I started reading the link you posted to learn a bit more about ferts since the info I managed to get my eyes on was not exactly clear on this.

I will follow your advice and later on I'll post some new pictures ;)

Thank you again

ynot
Greener Thumb

Sayuri wrote:Yes indeed I started reading the link you posted to learn a bit more about ferts since the info I managed to get my eyes on was not exactly clear on this.
Yeah there is tons of info out there. In many respects it is more a matter of getting what works for your specific situation [IE trees environment] as opposed to finding a concrete answer that works in any and all cases you know...[This also applies to soil mixes, watering...etc.etc...]

This usually takes some experimentation to ty and see what your trees respond to best [And sometimes the answer will not be the same for all of them..]
I will follow your advice and later on I'll post some new pictures ;)
See here for tips on taking helpful pictures: https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3557

If you want to see some inspiring bonsai - There may be more to it than you suspect 8)... Look here: https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3343

Please do check out the rest of this site: https://www.bonsai4me.com/Basics.html It has a wealth of information on it and is well worth your time.

Enjoy your research :D

ynot

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”