redshoejess
Newly Registered

Those darned glued rocks

Hola!

So I got a bonsai from my mom for a house-warming gift. Here's the deal - it's got those icky glued-pebbles. How in the world do I get rid of those pesky rocks without harming the plant?

Thanks lots!
Jess

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

redshoejess,

I'm glad that you realize the importance of removing the rocks. To tell you the truth I have never had to deal with this problem. Perhaps a flat bladed screwdriver or some other similar implement. Just work at it until you get them off. You will probably find that you will have to add some soil to make up the difference.

As much as I hate to say it, assuming less than ideal soil, you should probably use a similar soil to what is already present. A coarser, bonsai type, medium could be used but it will dry faster than the underlying medium and could make it more difficult to determine when the tree needs to be watered.

What species is it? If by chance it is a Ficus you can probably do a re-pot now but you will need to purchase, or make, a decent medium.

Welcome to the site, and please put your location in your profile so that we may better advise you.

Norm

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”