Joey and Laura
Newly Registered

Japanese Garden Juniper Indoors

Is it possible for a Juniper to survive indoors in southeastern Michigan? We have pretty high humidity throughout the summer. My room is always approximately 65-75 degrees. The window is always open for fresh air even when the AC is on. The ceiling fan is always on in the room. We mist the tree 3-5 times daily.

Is there anything we can do so we can keep the tree in our room? We got the tree 4 days ago and it's been in our room ever since.

We purchased the Juniper from the “Bonsai Houseâ€

ynot
Greener Thumb

Joey and Laura wrote:Is it possible for a Juniper to survive indoors in southeastern Michigan? We have pretty high humidity throughout the summer. My room is always approximately 65-75 degrees.
The [high] temp is not the issue, It has a bit to do with lighting and ultimately everything to do with the low temperature and a thing called dormancy. [Which is a biological necessity for the trees survival]
Is there anything we can do so we can keep the tree in our room? We got the tree 4 days ago and it's been in our room ever since.
[url=https://www.bonsai4me.com/SpeciesGuide/Juniperus.html]IMO - Sorry , No. Read this please[/url] and [url=https://www.bonsai4me.com/Basics/Basics_WinterCare.html]This also.[/url]
We would really like the tree in our room. Some websites we’ve read say it would be difficult, yet possible to do, while others say it's simply impossible.
IMO - Some of the sites that say it is ok for a juni to be inside are selling you one...'Nuff said.

See the above links please, If you are intent on having an 'indoor' tree [Remember that ALL trees live outdoors naturally] A tropical variety would be a more likely survivor, Even these prefer to be outdoors in the summer.

Please continue your research and welcome to the forum :D

[url=https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3343]Click here to see a bit of what is possible in bonsai...You may be surprised indeed.[/url]

ynot
EDITED: For atrocious spelling.
Last edited by ynot on Sun Jun 24, 2007 1:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Joey and Laura
Newly Registered

Ahh, this is disappointing. I was hoping to artificially create an environment for the tree in my room. I'd be willing to put it outside for 2 months a year so it can go dormant during the winter season.

Look’s like I'll be picking up a new bonsai this week. Normally I don't jump into anything without researching it to death at first but this plant just looked so cool to us.

Any suggestions as to what type of Bonsai would best suit the indoor evironment that I described? I was thinking a Ficus of some sort.

Thank you for your help,
Joey and Laura

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Joey and Laura,
Any suggestions as to what type of Bonsai would best suit the indoor evironment that I described? I was thinking a Ficus of some sort.
Ficus is a much better choice for indoor culture. Your willingness to put the tree outdoors for a few months is good also but in this case it would be the summer. Remember, as Ynot pointed out, trees are out of their element inside. Have you seen Jerry's website? It has a lot of information that will help with indoor bonsai.

[url]https://bonsaihunk.8m.com/cultural.html[/url]

There are other species that can be managed indoors as well, some keep Chinese Elms inside but I never have, preferring to keep mine outside.
Normally I don't jump into anything without researching it to death at first but this plant just looked so cool to us.
This is the way to approach bonsai, it has a pretty steep learning curve and you are never done learning. Expect to kill trees, it is inevitable.

As for the Juniper, perhaps you will come to appreciate outdoor culture with time.

Norm

Joey and Laura
Newly Registered

My buddy bought the same type of Juniper a few days ago as well. I'm going to convince him to sell it to me since he lives in an apartment with no place to put the tree outside.

With both of them in mind, I think I will construct a nice little ledge for them to sit on outside. This way I can keep the trees elevated slightly so that I may keep them away from pests.

Thank you for your help.

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”