kogkog_bugart
Newly Registered

How to Care for a Cherry Bonsai - Indoors

My good friend gave me a bonsai and I have no idea how to take care of this one... I did some research but its not enough.. they said that this type of bonsai is an indoor bonsai... I'm from los angeles and my apartment place is againts the morning
sunlight so I got sun light around 1PM - 4 PM... and if this is a indoor plant can I just take it outside like 2 a week (I work mon-friday)... and please give me tips how should I take care of this pretty thing... thank you
Attachments
image (1).jpg
image (1).jpg (28.9 KiB) Viewed 2104 times
image (2).jpg
image (2).jpg (25.69 KiB) Viewed 2104 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (28.4 KiB) Viewed 2104 times

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Hi! I think brush cherry is a good choice for indoor bonsai. It should go outdoors for spring and summer. In your climate, it probably could be outdoors much of the year, since it is hardy down to 45 degrees or so. But once it has had a summer vacation, it can come back in if you want. Don't move it in and out regularly-- each move is stressful for the plant. Move it out in spring and in in fall and otherwise let it stay and get used to one spot.

Your west facing window is not ideal for it. Put it in front of the window, but then arrange some supplemental lighting for it, so that it gets more hours a day of light.

The soil it is in looks a bit heavy and dense. Do a little reading on bonsai soils. Water when it is starting to get a little bit dry, but before it dries out completely.

https://www.chinesebonsaigarden.com/wp-c ... onsai2.jpg

brush cherry bonsai in bloom! :)

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

The picture is what you hope your bonsai will look like when you and it have grown old together (after you learn how to take care of it and just keep it alive in a pot indoors).

It has a nice thick trunk with good taper (getting narrower as it goes up), good roots providing a foundation for the tree and the sense that it is rooted in to and belongs where it is, not just popping up out of the soil, and a simplified branch structure so you can see the lines of the tree.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

So you've had your new little bonsai a couple more weeks now. How's it doing? Is it still seeming healthy? Did you set up some supplemental lighting for it?

kogkog_bugart
Newly Registered

no I just let it outside according to local gardeb its much better if I left it outside year round because los angeles has a good weather... and he told me the brush cherry is fine.. but should I provide a lighting for it?!

The Ficus Guy

kogkog_bugart wrote:no I just let it outside according to local gardeb its much better if I left it outside year round because los angeles has a good weather... and he told me the brush cherry is fine.. but should I provide a lighting for it?!

How cold does it get in Los Angeles?? If it's outside you won't need to provide it additional light.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Yeah, the lighting comment was from when you said it was indoors, in front of a west facing window. No amount of lighting could add to or compete with sunshine. Pointless for an outdoor plant.

But you would want to bring it in if temperatures get below 45, which I believe does happen sometimes in your area. There used to be occasional freezes when they got the smudge pots out to protect the orange groves. But these days orange groves are more rare and so are freezes, with global warming.

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”