evtubbergh
Green Thumb

New seedlings

Hi all

When do you recommend pricking out new tree seedlings? I have germinated all these Combretums and lemons, not to mention the Jacarandas, pomegranates, cherries and mulberries in trays now. I did put the lemons in a fairly deepish tray but my Combretums really are not. They only have the unfurled Cotyledons out but I am concerned their roots will struggle when they hit the bottom. On the other hand I don't want to damage them if they are too little.

imafan26
Mod

Most citrus, mangoes, and avocados are grafted here. From seedlings you will have a 5-7 year wait with no guarantee of good fruit. We also have tristiza virus and citrus needs to be grafted on resistant rootstock so it will last more than a few years.

If you are growing them from seed for fun then that is o.k. but you will have a long wait to see any results.

Having said that, I have grown citrus from seed. Transplanting of most any kind of seedling should wait until the true leaves are out and there is a good root mass.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

You posted this in bonsai forum? Are you growing these to be bonsai or are you hoping for them to become full sized trees?

evtubbergh
Green Thumb

I figured the bonsai forum would have the most information on tree growing. lol

Yes, I am going to bonsai a Combretum and maybe a lemon. If the Jacarandas germinate then maybe one of those. We will see how many I can handle.

Most of the avos in our gardens have grown from seed and our rough skin lemons are often not grafted as they are pretty hardy. That said these are Meyer lemons. Honestly I don't mind the issues as I didn't expect so many to germinate, which is why I thought I'd bonsai some.

The Combretums, incidentally, should be healthy and strong and I will keep as many as I have space for, so we can plant them one day. When that one day comes I will probably plant a lemon tree anyway and if it fruits then yay and if not then oh well.

tomc
Super Green Thumb

Your zone is much drier and tropical than mine, so my small point may seen very off topic, or at least temperate-ly zonal.

I do grow a fair number of trees hearty to me from seed.

I start my seedlings in a daffodil pan en-mass and tease them apart and plant them to single cells the following year. I buy bottomless pots specific to my need. But a 1 liter soda bottle with the top and bottom cut off would work as well for my need. They might aleviate your concerns of crowded roots. I simply let the excess roots grow out the bottom and past the bottom of the flat.

Hope this helps.

evtubbergh
Green Thumb

It's quite fun isn't it?

I have a beautiful, healthy avo tree here ready for my friends' new garden. Now I am setting my sights on some more interesting things but to be honest I just don't have the space. We plan on moving within about 2 years though so I am just hoping I can keep some trees in my yard at small sizes until then. I will probably have to compost the ones that I can't keep and can't find good homes for.

Is this solution just for bonsai trees? My flats are not that deep and there would be no where for the roots to go as they sit on bricks or shelves. I could use little bottles that I have to keep the roots from separating while they're still very small but then later I would need to make a plan. Can I just transplant them into pots?

I have a better flat I can move the Combretums to for now. I used the very shallow one because it has a lid. If I move them though will they be ok? I usually move tomatoes etc. when they start developing new leaves but in this case I think they might be too big to wait.

I really have no idea where to go next in terms of growing a bonsai. I had better find a how-to hey? Any good suggestions?

tomc
Super Green Thumb

This is quite far afield from growing bonsai, but most of my trees from seed end up as reforestry projects, not bonsai.

My bottomless pots sit in a perforated tray on pavement. Often with a piece of paper between bottomless pot and tray. Roots grow through paper and out onto pavement.

The following year once trees are dormant, they get potted up into one gallon pots. The next year after they go to field.

evtubbergh
Green Thumb

Ok cool. I will see how it goes. I may have to plant in bags and up pot as needed because we really don't have that kind of space and I need to move things around sometimes.

I'm actually looking forward to a Combretum bonsai. Perhaps some bonsai growers would be interested in the rest.

Oh imafan I see your post now. Thanks, I think I might have to move them early as the tray is too shallow. I didn't realise how big the seedlings would be. I will just test one and see.

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”