kogkog_bugart
Newly Registered

HELPPPPPP... CHOPSTICK METHOD ON JUNIPER BONSAI

How does it chopstick method works?! ive read about it and its very confusing.. so I stick the chopstick on the side of my pot like 1 1/2 to 2 " deep then take it of after 5-10 mins then other said just leave it there and check it daily.. if the chopstick is damp water if some said but other when chopstick is damp don't water it... its very confusing... please helppppp!

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

kogkog_bugart,

I prefer to leave the chopstick/skewer in place and remove it daily to check. If it is damp then so is the soil and no need to water. Watering too frequently is very easy for a new grower who is concerned about their tree. Heed the warnings that others have given, Junipers belong outside.

Norm

tomc
Super Green Thumb

kogkog_bugart wrote:How does it chopstick method works? so I stick the chopstick on the side of my pot like 1 1/2 to 2 " deep then take it of after 5-10 mins then other said just leave it there and check it daily.. if the chopstick is damp water if some said but other when chopstick is damp don't water it... its very confusing... please helppppp!
Either method of testing for water (ie leave it in, or insert each trial) both work fine.

As with any test for water; either is already has some and does not need more, or it don't have any water and does need to be watered.

As time passes your tree will become root bound. A little sip of water is a surefire way to mostly not water your root bound tree. if you pick up touch and feel the heft of your tree daily, when that root bound day comes and your tree weights the same before and after watering, it may be nearing the season to root prune.

When you knock the tree out of its pot and its all roots and no soil, you know root pruning day is probably tomorrow.

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”