kikcer2

Junipers in Flordia

Hey guys.

I have a little problem I'm hoping you guys can help me solve. I Now have 2 Junipers one Chinese and the other Japanese. I think ive been able to revive the Japanese, it was a gift but it came from a chain store, ironically it was sold to them by a legitimate bonsai nursery who is pretty local. But it was a perfect gift since I had been wanting another one.

But they are junipers and I live in Tampa Florida, which doesnt get cool at all. the plant are indoors for the most part, I do put them out in the sun when I can, but I'm afraid my Chinese juniper maybe getting exhausted based on the readings ive done. Junipers need a period to sleep during if I read correctly.

Is there any way I can simulate this? possibly putting it in the fridge?

Any ideas would be great. can get pictures if needed.

imafan26
Mod

I live in Hawaii and the Nishii Juniper is a common subject for bonsai. It is fine in warmer areas and you are cooler than I am. Maybe you just need to find the right species of Juniper. Even I can get night temps in the 50's in the winter months and the Junipers just need to get around 60 degrees for the rest period they don't really like or need freezing.

https://www.shbonsai.com/care_juniper.html

kikcer2

imafan-

Absolutely awesome! thank you. so my fear on the Chinese is gone. Before I moved to tampa I still lived in Florida but my parents house had a room that use to be a porch but wasnt on the central air system, so it had a window unit. we simply kept the room closed from the rest of the house, it would get down to 50-and 60's during the cold season. and that was were the the plant stayed. so I know its likely gone thru one cycle already.

tomc
Super Green Thumb

Juniper can not survive indoors. Its a death sentence. If your juniper came from a local nursery, ask them how to give it winter-care.

kikcer2

that's a good idea ill ask them when I can stop by I was hoping to get a pot for my Chinese juniper to repot into. they go outside whenever I can put them outside, being in an apartment its kinda an issue. And inside they have a grow light I use with my other plants that they can soak up rays from. I'm trying to make lemonade out of lemons here, I cant change the hand ive been dealt.

Now I should restate. the Chinese juniper did not come from a local nursery, ive had it for over a year now. the Japanese I got about a week ago from a friend who get it from walgreens. I'm trying to revive it, and I think my efforts are working so far. the tag said it was from a nursery that I was ironically looking at pots from, who is a city or so over.

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”