bonsaiboy
Greener Thumb

Mame soil

I have searched the web for retailers of mame bonsai soil, but have found none. I have also tryed many soil recipes given on websites for mame soil, and I found out they drain well, but retain to much water. So I thought you guys could help me out. I want to know if there is an exact recipe I should follow for a mame ficus, or if anyone knows where to buy the soil. I am horrible at creating my own soil recipes, wich never work.

ynot
Greener Thumb

Re: Mame soil

bonsaiboy wrote:I have searched the web for retailers of mame bonsai soil, but have found none.
Shohin soil= https://www.hollowcreekbonsai.com/item103799.ctlg
I have also tryed many soil recipes given on websites for mame soil, and I found out they drain well, but retain to much water.
Tried them?...How? How small do you mean also? [IE: pot dimensions]

If you want your soil to retain less moisture simply decrease the amount of organic components that you include in your mixture, This will do the trick.

Be warned though that mames have a far smaller margin of error than larger specimens [In any measure]
So I thought you guys could help me out. I want to know if there is an exact recipe I should follow for a mame ficus,
No, There are simply to many variables. {It is the same answer as for questions about 'exact soil recipes' for larger bonsai, This is addressed in the soil sticky.}
or if anyone knows where to buy the soil.
See above link for one place.
I am horrible at creating my own soil recipes, wich never work.
What are you using? & How do you test it?

ynot

bonsaiboy
Greener Thumb

I usualy test my soils by putting them in an appropriate sized pot, watering it, and seeing how well it drains, and how much it retains. This way I can know if it will work without risking a living plant.

P.S. As you can probably tell, It will usualy take awhile for me to respond. Just saying for future referance. I also have a question. I want to prune my ficus, but it only has leaves growing from the tips of its branches. If I prune thoes branches off past the leaf level, will new ones (leafs) grow in, or will the branch die back?

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”