ExcitableGardener

Golden Rain Tree Bonsai

Has anybody had any success with a golden rain tree? I've had them in the yard since I was a kid and my parents are selling their house. I'd take some seeds and plant one at my place, but I live in an apartment. I think it would be pretty neat to keep one by creating a little bonsai golden rain tree from one of the seeds.

tomc
Super Green Thumb

A google search turned up examples. So, yes it can be done as a larger example.

It will have to be larger because it has compound leaves.

ExcitableGardener

Thanks for the reply. I'm totally new to bonsai, do you recommend any books?

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

ExcitableGardener

Thanks Norm!

tomc
Super Green Thumb

ExcitableGardener wrote:Thanks for the reply. I'm totally new to bonsai, do you recommend any books?
One of the most available (and cheapest) are the Brooklyn Botanic Garden Society pamphlets, (#13) Dwarfed Potted Trees--The Bonsai of Japan, (#26) Gardening in Containers, (#51) Bonsai Special Techniques.

For as many years ago as they were first printed. They drew on the very best experts of the day. Plus they were reprinted for decades and are on every used book store shelf I have ever visited for a buck or two.

I still refer to mine first after twenty years of doing this, and many latter library additions.

It seems not that much changes in bonsai.

Mike Dirr's Manual of Woody Plants, might be an addition worth the price if mastery of woody plants are your goal.

koiboy01

Hi,
The leaves of the golden rain tree are too large for a bonsai, I have had one in a plant pot for about 10/12 years but because of the size of the leaves I decided against making it into a bonsai
and two years ago I planted it in the ground and it has just took off growing really quick.
koiboy01.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

It may not be the easiest subject, but as tom noted people have done it, whatever you think about how successfully:

https://images.bidorbuy.co.za/user_image ... ides10.JPG

But starting from seed is a v...e....r....y s......l.....o......w way to get to bonsai.

tomc
Super Green Thumb

Koiboy's answer of the leaves are too big, and mine of the leaves are compound, are barely a Noah Webster apart.

And when compared to, oh say a Texas Ebony (pithecellobium flexicaule, another tree with compound leaves) the problems of making a minature of raintree become transparent.

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”