angeleyes

Further Juniper questions.

Thnx to all the great advice I have gotten and the cool web sites that have helped me to better understand the watering technics for my juniper!

Question1:
My juniper "had" some brown patches under the needles by the trunk (at the moment cannot post pics) they are all clearing up and the needles have been growing faster I just want to make sure that this is a 4sure thing that my juni is getting and is goin to stay better and that it hopefully means I have figured out the right doses of water it should be receiving!

Question2: I live by the ocean and my juni is facing it, is this a good or bad thing?also I live in a high rise my plant stays out side and get a good source of sunlight.

Question3: could u recomend any good fertalizers and when should they be used?

Thnx
Kristen

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Kristen,
Question1:
My juniper "had" some brown patches under the needles by the trunk (at the moment cannot post pics) they are all clearing up and the needles have been growing faster
I'm not really sure what you mean by this but if you are seeing new growth you must be doing something right.
Question2: I live by the ocean and my juni is facing it, is this a good or bad thing?
I assume you are referring to salt tolerance and if so then I can't help on that front either as I live no where near the ocean. Try google with such terms as "salt tolerance" + "Juniper"
Question3: could u recomend any good fertalizers and when should they be used?
When it comes to fertilizers the first thing you need to consider is if you are going to go the organic route or go with chemical fertilizers, I have used both. You tree does not require a bonsai specific fertilizer although there are such products available. They are still fertilizer, just marketed to bonsai enthusiasts. Go to your local nursery or garden center and choose a product you feel comfortable with. Be aware that some organics, such as fish emulsion, can smell. For someone in your situation a balanced, water soluble fertilizer would probably be the easiest. Use it according to the directions about every two weeks during the growing season, which for you is, well...

This brings me to the most important aspect of your situation, which I believe Ynot attempted to address in your other thread, dormancy. Junipers require a winter rest period that you will not be able to provide. No matter how well it does in the short term I fear that eventually it will weaken and fail.

Perhaps you would consider looking into some tropicals. There are plants that you can grow that I cannot. Why fight nature when you have other choices?

Norm

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”