baileysup
Green Thumb

Good Online Source for COPPER Wire fo Bonsai?

None of my local nurseries carry good wire. Are there any online sources that carry good copper wire (not aluminum), and possibly some good tools as well. I need both. Also, I know Japanese tools are not needed, but are they worth it? To start out with a nursery Juniper, what gauges of wire should I purchace. Ebay????? Thanks

tomc
Super Green Thumb

Your local Ace hardware store carries copper wire. You'll have to burn--strip off the insulation on your own.

Brent of evergreengardenworks.com had the best prices last time I looked for tools. You are three to five years away from needing much more than an anvil pruner you can obtain anywhere.

baileysup
Green Thumb

Hey thanks tomc

tomc
Super Green Thumb

Copper is wholesale-ing for like 6-8+ dollars a pound. You can buy it without insulation. But by the time you've sprung for a 50-LB spool in five or six thickness, there's no tree money left. :(

baileysup
Green Thumb

Hey, doesn't the wire have to be annealed for strength? Is it better if it's annealed?

tomc
Super Green Thumb

baileysup wrote:Hey, doesn't the wire have to be annealed for strength? Is it better if it's annealed?
Yea, but you're going to do that. Which is why burning off insulation isn't that big of a deal. (on the porch)

imafan26
Mod

Try the local bonsai club. The local clubs here sell wire and tools. Some tools are necessary like concave cutters if you don't want to leave branch stubs. Most of the wire the clubs sell come from china in different guages. One of the better things about copper wire is that it can be reused. Wire sold at Lowe's and home depot are usually only goo for the smallest branches. But it is true that if you get electrical wire and burn off the insulation, it also works. Be careful burning insulation, burnt plastic is very toxic.

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

baileysup,
Hey, doesn't the wire have to be annealed for strength? Is it better if it's annealed?
Annealing softens the wire making it easier to work with. Have you ever bent a wire back and forth until it breaks? This is known as 'work hardening' annealing is the opposite of that.

Norm

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”