maria
Newly Registered

Please help..may have dead chinese elm.

I bought a Chinese Elm is September and it did leave a few months after. Now for the past 4-5 months, iv'e seen no leaves at all.I've watered it and checking it with a water meter, it doesn't seem to dry out quickly. Where as my other bonsai drys out quickly. Why are the leaves growing back. Is it dead?

treeflea
Newly Registered

Maria, can you provide pictures of the tree. A picture is worth a 1000 words. What type of lighting does the tree have? Once you brought it home, did you do anything to it? I.e. pruning, etc.

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Welcome to both Maria and Treeflea,

Maria, are you aware that you answered Treeflea's question by repeating your original post? I have deleted the duplicate. I must admit I am having a hard time deciphering your post. The items in red are assumptions on my part.
I bought a Chinese Elm in September and it did leaf out a few months after.
Unless you live in the southern hemisphere the tree should have been in leaf at that time of year and if it was not then you had trouble from the start.
Now for the past 4-5 months, iv'e seen no leaves at all.
Sorry but this does not bode well for the future of this tree. No matter what hemisphere you are from you should have seen some foliage in this time frame. I would say it is dead. Scratch the bark in an unobtrusive location and observe the color underneath. Some green indicates that it is alive anything else is bad news.
it doesn't seem to dry out quickly. Where as my other bonsai drys out quickly.
Without foliage the tree is not transpiring water therefore the soil stays wet until it dries through evaporation.
Why are the leaves not growing back. Is it dead?
Yes, I'm afraid this is most likely dead.

Norm

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”