DLFielding
Newly Registered

Bonsai Pots and Overwintering

I recently received an outdoor Bonsai in a glazed ceramic pot as a gift. The instructions state to simply leave
it outside in a protected area over the winter months. I'm concerned the pot will not survive.

Here in Zone 5 (New York) it gets very cold during the winter. Are bonsai pots designed to withstand extremely
cold temperatures?

I'm concerned about ending up with a bonsai and a collection of pieces of broken pot in the Spring.

I've read suggestions to bury/mulch the pot to protect the bonsai tree. This will not reduce the freezing action
at -15 degrees.

Thanks in advance for the help.

tomc
Super Green Thumb

I used to slip the few hearty trees I had in ceramic pots into a slightly bigger plastic pot before bedding them in an unheated cold frame for the winter, in Lakes region of NH.

Mostly I pot mine up in mica pots that have traditional shapes, but won't shatter in the cold.

Nesting your tree a little way into soil and covering them with leaf mulch worked for me before I built my cold house.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

It isn't really the cold that destroys ceramics so much as the freeze/thaw cycles, expansion and contraction, water getting into tiny cracks and then expanding when it freezes. If you can protect it from all that, sheer cold should be OK.

tomc
Super Green Thumb

Ceramic pots spaul (flake) with frost, Much less common is the soil to expand with frost and split pots, but it can happen.

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”