jinkim
Newly Registered

Ficus Retusa - I need help shaping!

Hello!

I am in desperate need of shaping and wiring, and expert advice from the forums for my ficus. I feel clueless as to what kind of shape I should give it. There are 3 main branches, and everything is just so straight, so I'm not sure as to how I should prune it. I would imagine I would have to wait to prune it back during late winter or else it would go into a dormant stage again. Or can I do it now?

I am clearly new, but I am becoming very interested and fascinated by bonsais but I'm also on a low low budget so I need to research everything being unable to drive anywhere to get help.

I am thinking of putting a rock under the roots next winter or should I not?
Should I be cutting off any branches? When should I do it?

For a few more photos go to: https://ashleyjinkim.blogspot.ca/2013/06 ... oject.html

If I could get any advice, it would be amazing! :mrgreen:

jinkim
Newly Registered

If anyone would mind drawing over a photo to help give a better illustration of what it should be shaped like, I've provided this photo. I tried looking at different styles and it looks as though I could have repotted the plant leaning/slanted. Not sure!

tomc
Super Green Thumb

Put this tropical tree in the sun! or buy 87 floresent bulbs and wire up a lighted bench.

Big leaves stretching out is a symptom of light deprivation.

jinkim
Newly Registered

Thanks! I am training it now to withstand more and more light every day. It was by my kitchen sink window where there is tons of humidity and a good source of indirect light. The problem about lighting was there were blogs and sites out there that either said it needed indirect and never direct light on it, or it needs direct light. So I am doing both.

I also think the problem is that I never trimmed down the branches to make it taper. On one blog, they said to trim back because it just grows straight and keeps strengthening the branch whilst growing huge leaves.

I will do that probably in 2 weeks after the tree has recovered from repotting.

What I need to do now is figure out what shape to make the tree into... It's just so straight and lifeless

tomc
Super Green Thumb

if you have just repotted wait 3 or 4 weeks and cut off every terminal bud and leaf (on the end of each branch).

Even if that means taking all the leaves. You want to force back budding and new leaf-set.

Shorten all branches down to two leaves once the new leaves have regrown to full size.

I really cannot stress full sun too much. Figs are a tree of the tropics. Check water daily or more often in summer and keep it growing strongly.

As a caution I'm giving you mid-western USAin advice. A-n-d you still have not amended your profile to give a hint of where you are growing.

Some of the wood and water is up to you to chop or haul...

jinkim
Newly Registered

Cool! I'll probably be pruning in a week, then. I have put it in direct sunlight with a humidity tray underneath it since it's so dry in that area. Not sure if it will be enough to help, though. Only time will tell. Also, I'll probably try to salvage some of the cut stems and try to propagate them.

I just edited my profile. Hope that helps!

If I have access to a car, I may bring it to a little bonsai show and they may help me wire it. I'm scared people will look at my plant in disgust. I doubt anyone will have such a strung out plant as mine with such long leaves. Everyone has to start somewhere

tomc
Super Green Thumb

In disgust? No, but they may give advice on how to develop ramification.

Its a few days short of summer. Full sun does not mean near a window. It means outdoors in the sun.

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”