MDR
Newly Registered

Bonsai 911

I was recently given an Azalea Bonsai tree for my birthday. The tree came with some basic care information. With the help of this information, I purchased special fertilizer for the tree to use once a month. The care instructions also recommended misting the leaves with water if the weather is dry, so I have done this on occasion. It usually needs watering every two days. The tree currently sits in front of a window that gets partial shade and approx. 5 hrs of sun.

The tree seemed to be fairly comfortable until silly me, I went on vacation for 4 days. When I came home the leaves were wilted and even after a watering (soaked it in a tub of water until all the air bubbles ceased), the leaves remain wilted. They are now very brittle and are starting to fall off.

I'm not sure what I should do at this point. There were some buds that were about to open and they still seem green and healthy, but other buds have completely died. I'm not sure if I need to prune the tree, just let the leaves fall off and hope for re-growth, or if the tree is even alive and salvageable.

Any help you could provide would be greatly appreciated!

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Hmmm....

Green buds are a source of hope, but azaleas are pretty definite in their requirements, and drying out is the last thing they want to do. Keep the roots moist (not soggy) and keep the plant in a partly shaded location and wait. No feeding or pruning; just waiting...

Good luck,

Scott

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”