The Bonsai
Newly Registered

New Juniper Bonsai. Have Questions

Hello,

I purchased a Bonsai tree about 1 - 2 weeks ago (todays date is 5/31/07) and have been taking care of it as instructed on the "care card" that was attached. But I have a feeling the the woman at the garden shop was clueless. So I checked google and got a a ton of different care tips, which led me to create this blog. I am a beginner at this so bear with me. I have tons of questions that need answering to help my Bonsai grow. First let me tell you what I have been doing to taking care of my Bonsai. I have a Juniper Bonsai which I belive to be 3 years old. I keep it out on my pourch in full sunlight as instructed. From what I read this is correct. I water it every day, about half a cup to a cup of water. Now I have read that you do not need to water it every day. They say you should stick your finger about half an inch to an inch into the soil and if it feels moist then your good. Okay now on with the questions. First Question - My Juniper Bonsai is about 3 years of age, how often should I water it and how much? Does it matter how much I water it (a cup, half a cup)? Second Question - This "Care Card" says I should keep my Juniper Bonsai outside in full sun for about 4 days, then bring it inside for the remaining 3. I don't think this is right. From what I have read it says to keep it in full sunlight all week. Is the "Care Card" right or am I right? Third Question - I have noticed that some of the little leaves are turning brown on the tips, what does that mean? Is it because I don't water it enough, because of the heat, or is it natural? Fourth Question - As I have been inspecting my tree every day I also noticed that the branches have little leaves or spicky leaves on them. Some of those look brown and I don't know what to do. Is this natural or from the lack of water? Fifth Question - As I water my Bonsai everyday I started to notice that the roots from the tree are starting to stick out from the soil. What is this caused by and is it ok that they stick out like that? Sixth Question - My tree has 3 main branches and I want to start prunning, trimming, and training but I don't know how. I have read tons of articles online and none of them can seem to trigger my brain on how to do it. I am also looking in to getting some Bonsai Tools. What tools should I get and do I need tools? How do you train a branch and what is "Pinching back and prunning"? Seventh Question - When the time comes for me to re-plant my tree, how will I know when I need to do so and should I use Bonsai Soil? Eighth Question - On the "Care Card" it say that I can stick my pot in a tub of water about an inch deep if it has holes in the bottem of the pot (which it does). It can get its water supplement this way as well and which way is best, putting it in a tub of water or pouring water over it? Ninth Question - The other day I found a worm on one of my tree's branches. I didn't know what to do with it, weather I should have taken it off or left it there. Is this a pest to my tree? If so what can I do to prevent this from happening again? Tenth Question - When I do get the hang of trainning my Bonsai, what would be the best way to train it? What is the best trainning method or style for Juniper? I hope you guys will be able to answer my questions and help me out. Give me a hand as I am a beginner and already addicted to this hobby. Thanks for your help and hopefully write to you soon.

ynot
Greener Thumb

Welcome to the forum TB,

First of all, I have a quick non-bonsai suggestion for you that will do much to help us to help you....Three simple words ~ Please use paragraphs. :P :P

You will have many links to read when you finish this post so be prepared for that. Research is your friend and I am glad you have started already as the quote below indicates. :D
... So I checked google and got a a ton of different care tips,
Here is something I recently posted in another thread but it applies to your words above as well:
ynot wrote:This is understandable and one of the reasons for it is because everyone has their own set of conditions to deal with and the number of variables to take into consideration can be extensive.

IE: Species, Age and Health and development of the tree [Deciduous, Coniferous, or Evergreen, Temporate, Tropical, or Sub-tropical], Geographic location [Available light, Temps, Wind, and humidity], Components of the soil, And the size of the container...

All of these are factors that need to be taken into consideration.

Needless to say it is impossible for any one source to have ideal information with respect to any individual set of circumstances.

This is why research is so important..Finding what works well and tweaking it to your own situation.
First Question - My Juniper Bonsai is about 3 years of age, how often should I water it and how much? Does it matter how much I water it (a cup, half a cup)?
This is not the way to water, Read the links listed for #8 :
Second Question - This "Care Card" says I should keep my Juniper Bonsai outside in full sun for about 4 days, then bring it inside for the remaining 3. I don't think this is right. From what I have read it says to keep it in full sunlight all week. Is the "Care Card" right or am I right?
Junipers should be outside all the time, 24-7-365-4ever. Read this: https://www.bonsai4me.com/SpeciesGuide/Juniperus.html
Third Question - I have noticed that some of the little leaves are turning brown on the tips, what does that mean? Is it because I don't water it enough, because of the heat, or is it natural?
Brown is never a natural color for a healthy juniper, Both of the first two are possibilities. We do not have enough info to guess [Though my guess is it is a lack of water considering how your current approach to watering.]
Fourth Question - As I have been inspecting my tree every day I also noticed that the branches have little leaves or spicky leaves on them. Some of those look brown and I don't know what to do. Is this natural or from the lack of water?
Pictures please...[url=https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3557]See here for photos tips.[/url]
Fifth Question - As I water my Bonsai everyday I started to notice that the roots from the tree are starting to stick out from the soil. What is this caused by and is it ok that they stick out like that?
Most likely IMO, Your watering is washing the soil away....Push it back and be more careful while watering.
Sixth Question - My tree has 3 main branches and I want to start prunning, trimming, and training but I don't know how. I have read tons of articles online and none of them can seem to trigger my brain on how to do it. I am also looking in to getting some Bonsai Tools. What tools should I get and do I need tools? How do you train a branch and what is "Pinching back and prunning"?
See here for pinching [Bottom Half]: https://www.bonsai4me.com/Basics/Basics_Pruning3.html
Keep in mind you should have a styling goal in mind before you go pruning... A destination is important in any journey you know...
Seventh Question - When the time comes for me to re-plant my tree, how will I know when I need to do so and should I use Bonsai Soil?
When the roots colonize the volume of the container it is time to repot [See some of the links in this sticky: https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3422 ]

Bonsai soil= YES
Eighth Question - On the "Care Card" it say that I can stick my pot in a tub of water about an inch deep if it has holes in the bottem of the pot (which it does). It can get its water supplement this way as well and which way is best, putting it in a tub of water or pouring water over it?
Top water please, NO experienced bonsai practitioner suggests submersion as a regular watering practice. See here: https://www.bonsai4me.com/Basics/Basics_Watering.html
https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1479
Ninth Question - The other day I found a worm on one of my tree's branches. I didn't know what to do with it, weather I should have taken it off or left it there. Is this a pest to my tree? If so what can I do to prevent this from happening again?
Pests are to be gotten rid of, I know nothing more of your worm issue than this.
Tenth Question - When I do get the hang of trainning my Bonsai, what would be the best way to train it? What is the best trainning method or style for Juniper?
There is no standard style for any species and the natural shape [or inclinations] of the tree are the cues used to suggest a direction for styling.
Sight unseen it is impossible to even suggest a route that could maximize it's potential, At 3 years old it is hardly an issue yet anyway and you have plenty of time to learn about this aspect.
I hope you guys will be able to answer my questions and help me out.
Here are some links to some articles for you to read:https://www.bonsai4me.com/Basics.html
https://www.evergreengardenworks.com/articles.htm
https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3423

Read this thread to see what some of the possibilities are when it comes to bonsai: https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3343

I hope this helps. :D

ynot

EDIT: Gnome I was quick on the draw tonight ;) [img]https://www.mysmilie.de/english/green/smilies/characters/2/39.gif[/img] :lol:
Last edited by ynot on Thu May 31, 2007 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

The Bonsai,

Hello and welcome. Well this certainly is a tall order, we don't mind helping that's why were doing this but it would take pages to answer your questions. I'll address a few of the more important ones first.
First Question - My Juniper Bonsai is about 3 years of age, how often should I water it and how much? Does it matter how much I water it (a cup, half a cup)?
The age is not relevant, water thoroughly until all of the soil is saturated. Wait until it requires water again. Watering is not about quantity but frequency. Please read the sticky threads at the top of the bonsai forum, following the links for care information.
Second Question - This "Care Card" says I should keep my Juniper Bonsai outside in full sun for about 4 days, then bring it inside for the remaining 3. I don't think this is right. From what I have read it says to keep it in full sunlight all week. Is the "Care Card" right or am I right?
Outside, now and forever, with the possible exception of winter storage. *
Sixth Question - My tree has 3 main branches and I want to start prunning, trimming, and training but I don't know how. I have read tons of articles online and none of them can seem to trigger my brain on how to do it.
I can sympathize with you there, styling can be a challenge. But honestly, at three years old, your tree is still kind of young.
Seventh Question - When the time comes for me to re-plant my tree, how will I know when I need to do so and should I use Bonsai Soil?
Do some research on your own. Look [url=https://www.bonsai4me.com/SpeciesGuide/Juniperus.html]here[/url] And yes you should use proper soil.
On the "Care Card" it say that I can stick my pot in a tub of water about an inch deep if it has holes in the bottem of the pot (which it does). It can get its water supplement this way as well and which way is best, putting it in a tub of water or pouring water over it?
This is also addressed in the stickies.
Ninth Question - The other day I found a worm on one of my tree's branches. I didn't know what to do with it, weather I should have taken it off or left it there. Is this a pest to my tree? If so what can I do to prevent this from happening again?
I always remove insects from my trees especially of I cant identify it.
I hope you guys will be able to answer my questions and help me out. Give me a hand as I am a beginner and already addicted to this hobby.
Look here.
[url]https://www.bonsai4me.com/Basics.html[/url]
[url]https://www.evergreengardenworks.com/articles.htm[/url]

Do your research and stop back. Please use paragraphs when you post as your novel is a little difficult to follow.

Norm

EDIT: * I just noticed your location, winter storage will not be an issue for you. In fact I wonder if Juniper is an appropriate species for your climate.

The Bonsai
Newly Registered

Thanks guys for the response I saved all those links in my favorites and will read all of them tonight. I hate to bug you but I have but one more question. :D Also if you would like to check back tomarrow I will try and get a few pictures up.

Since I live in Florida, Hurricane season is almost here. Now if a hurricane were to roll through, odviously you would bring it inside but what do you advise I do? Even when it rains outside, should I keep it outside in the rain or should I bring it in?

Thanks once again!

The Bonsai

ynot
Greener Thumb

The Bonsai wrote:Thanks guys for the response I saved all those links in my favorites and will read all of them tonight.
Your very welcome.

I promise that you won't make it through those links [And retain anything] within the next week...Much less tonight...:lol:
Since I live in Florida, Hurricane season is almost here. Now if a hurricane were to roll through, odviously you would bring it inside but what do you advise I do? Even when it rains outside, should I keep it outside in the rain or should I bring it in?
This is two questions right?

Hurricane= Do what ever you do with the rest of the plants.

Rain is just rain, Trees do usually tolerate rain as far as I know. :P ;)

If it is going to be weeks on end and a situation where it will remain constantly wet then that is worth considering a little extra attention to the bonsai to insure it does not remain too wet.

I am presuming your tree is not in the best draining soil at the moment.

[Proper bonsai soil tends to alleviate this concern as it has excellent drainage properties.]

I hope this helps.

ynot

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

The Bonsai,
Thanks guys for the response I saved all those links in my favorites and will read all of them tonight.
You're welcome. I doubt you'll be able to properly absorb everything that was posted even if you could get through it in one evening.
Since I live in Florida, Hurricane season is almost here. Now if a hurricane were to roll through, odviously you would bring it inside but what do you advise I do?
I don't understand the question, being inside for a day is preferable to being blown into the next county.
Even when it rains outside, should I keep it outside in the rain or should I bring it in?
Excellent question. The answer really depends upon the condition of your soil and how heavy the rain is. An exceptionally free draining mix would probably be fine. But these types of trees are rarely in quality soil. But since you previously wrote:
I keep it out on my pourch in full sunlight
I once again don't follow? By the way how can it be on your porch and be in full sun?

Norm

The Bonsai
Newly Registered

Gnome,

You had asked me the question:
[/quote]How can it be on your pourch and be in full sunlight?

Well my porch is screen inclosed and has in in-ground pool so it is nothing small. I have my Bonsai sitting on a table in the middle of this screen encloser. This is in full sunlight no? Also as I said in my last post, if you would like to check up tomarrow I will try to get some photos up. :)

ynot
Greener Thumb

The Bonsai wrote: How can it be on your pourch and be in full sunlight?

Well my porch is screen inclosed and has in in-ground pool so it is nothing small. I have my Bonsai sitting on a table in the middle of this screen encloser. This is in full sunlight no?
The perimeter size of the area is not relevant in any way whatsoever.

You leave out a vital detail.... Does it have a roof?

If there is anything between it and the sun... It is NOT in full sunlight.

'Full sunlight' is comparable to a 'full view'... In other words - Unobstructed.

ynot

The Bonsai
Newly Registered

ok guys...lol let me explain this to you in the best way I can put this.

Try and picture what I say...

In my backyard,
There is an inground pool,
now around the pool there is screen held up by a steel frame.
No it doent have a roof. It is a very light screen. If you where to look through it it would appear the same as if you were not looking through it.
Do you get what I am saying? :shock:

ynot
Greener Thumb

No it doent have a roof. It is a very light screen. If you where to look through it it would appear the same as if you were not looking through it.
Do you get what I am saying? Shocked
I get it just fine...lol. Are you getting what I have said?
ynot wrote:If there is anything between it and the sun... It is NOT in full sunlight.
Additionally, I understand your in Florida so it will be quite strong sunlight...

There was no need for this to be so complex to answer...

ynot

The Bonsai
Newly Registered

Now is this screen incloser ok for my juniper or should it be out side of the incloser?

ynot
Greener Thumb

The Bonsai wrote:Now is this screen incloser ok for my juniper or should it be out side of the incloser?
Could we have a picture instead of another 1000 words? :P :lol:

That might be easier since apparently it is difficult to describe the lighting it lives in, You know what I mean?

Unless it is in considerable shade (OR roasting all day long) I doubt it is anything to be concerned about, Junipers love sunshine.
Being in Florida do exercise some caution and keep an eye on it.

8)

ynot

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”