nicky2478
Newly Registered

MY Bonsai tree has dried out

Hi my bonsai tree has dried out, I followed the instruction and fed it and I have watered it.

I am new to owning a bonsai tree and I have had this a month and a half and it has all dried out I have missed sprayed it and left it out side in the rain for an hour and it is still dry and all the leaves are falling off

can anyone help me save my little tree?

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Nicky,

I am afraid that we will need more information before we can make any meaningful suggestions. What you describe as dried out could just as easily be the result of over-watering. It is possible to kill a tree with too much water at which point the leaves will die. Not saying that is the case here but that you need to be more specific.

What species is the tree? What is the soil like, organic or gritty-loose and open or finely textured? Exactly how and how often have you watered it? Where are you locating the tree, living room, patio or full sun? If outside what has your weather been like? How quickly did this problem develop? Etc, etc. The more information the better.
I have missed sprayed it and left it out side in the rain for an hour and it is still dry
Watering by misting and by rain are both ineffective methods the soil needs to be thoroughly saturated at each watering then allowed to dry out somewhat. Please read the sticky threads at the top of the bonsai forum. If it is inside please put it outside in a shady location and only water as necessary. A tree with no foliage will be using much less water until/if new leaves emerge.

Norm

nicky2478
Newly Registered

It is a chineese elm, I have been watering this twice a week and I left it in the rain for 1 hour, I have mist sprayed it atr regular intervals and given it the food pellets which came with the tree, The soil is usually damp but dries out very quickly, It has plenty of grit in and planted next to it is a rock as you will see from the pictures below and it has grit and moss in the bottom and it sits on hte kitchen window cill the tree is about 15 years old and I got it recently about 2 months ago. I think I may have over watered it but it saidf in the instructions if I have done this then the leaves will go black and they have not gone black they have gone green and are all falling off if you move the tree or if you blow on it all the leavers just fall off the tree and they have gone really hard and dry on the tree. the pictures may give you a better indication I have kept it mainly inside away from too much heat as I was also told they dfo not like heat. The tree is very simular to the one on karate kid. Oh yeah forgot to say the problem developed over about the last 2 weeks and it seems to be getting worse and the soil is kida soft textured and its in a big blue pot all this came with the tree when I bourght it, With regards to the mist spray this was in the instructions I got with the tree and also I got told to put it in the rain for an hour or so and I did this too and this did not work either.
Can you give me some advise on how to look after it properly as the instructions I got seem to have done mopre damage than good. what the best way to water the soil and the tree and how much do you water it and how many times a week and how many of the food pelets should I give my tree and how long a perid before I gove it more pellets.

[/img]C:\Documents and Settings\User\My Documents\My Pictures\29052007214.jpg

[img]C:\Documents and Settings\User\My Documents\My Pictures\29052007215.jpg

[/img]C:\Documents and Settings\User\My Documents\My Pictures\29052007216.jpg

[img]C:\Documents and Settings\User\My Documents\My Pictures\29052007217.jpg

[/img]

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Nicky,

The "links" that you have provided are locations internal to your local hard-drive and as such are useless to anybody here. This site does not host images, they must be uploaded to an image hosting service and then linked to. Look [url=https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3724]here[/url] for information on how to upload images.

Can you give me some advise on how to look after it properly as the instructions I got seem to have done mopre damage than good.
This not uncommon, at best these instructions are so general as to be useless. At worst they can be fatal.

Have you read the stickies I mentioned earlier? There is basic care information there and links to more. In the meantime forget the fertilizer. Water the tree thoroughly when it is dry. If it is still moist then don't. The tree should be outside not on a window sill. Find a sheltered location, monitor the moisture level, cross your fingers and let it be.

You're welcome.

Norm

donny-gal
Newly Registered

My son and girlfriend bought me a bonsai tree for Christmas, unfortunately while I was away the weather turned warm and it dried out. I do not know what sort it is, it is in a 1" flat dish with smooth soil raised up and rounded over the roots to the trunk of the tree some 2" higher than the bottom of the dish if this helps. I wil get a picture (of it dead) and post later. I have kept the soil moist since my return, but the leaves are just sat on it all crinkled up.

Thanks

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”